April 8, 2009

God Speaks to the Church: Lesson 3; Section 1

Today we are going to listen to what God had to say to the church in Pergamum. Read ...

Revelation 2: 12 - 17

This church (these people) was commended for staying faithful to the "name" of the Lord Jesus. One of the believers in Pergamum, Antipas, even held to the faith while being put to death. Names matter. Isn't that why "name-calling" is so odious? Names are not just tags but they can be descriptors - particularly in Biblical days. Acts 4:12 tells us that there is salvation in no other "name" but Jesus. Philippians 2: 9 - 11 tells us that Jesus' name is above all names and there is a day coming when every knee will bow before it. Truly, a name worthy of our faithfulness.

Yet, while this church was holding onto the "name" they neglected weighty matters! Some in their number were accepting the teachings and the practices of some cultic thinking. These cultic practices are referred to as the "teaching of Balaam" and the "teaching of the Nicolaitans."
These practices seem to be wrapped around sexual immorality and idolatry.

(Piecing together the story of Balaam is challenging - what an enigma! If you would like to follow that track, read: Numbers 22 - 25. Then read Numbers 31: 8, 16. Follow in the New Testament with 2 Peter 2: 15 - 16 and Jude 11.)

What does this message to Pergamum indicate must be overcome? It seems to me that it is our tendency to be lured into impurity and idolatry - especially when involving something that we want badly! And the application is for us individually and for our churches. Let me ask "us" some questions:

1. How am I guarding my heart and mind from sexual impurity as I live in this sexually explicit culture? Do I guard what my eyes take in? Do I pay any attention to how I dress? Where do my "fantasies" take me? Have I compromised with my culture in my thinking about "acceptable" practices?
2. What things or people could take on the form of "idol" for me? God requires first-place allegiance and affection from His people. Do I give it? There is a wonderful prayer written in 1856 by Elizabeth Prentiss. I believe this prayer needs to be in my mind and heart at all times:

More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer I make, on bended knee;
this is my earnest plea, more love O Christ, to Thee
More love to Thee! More love to Thee.
Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best;
This all my prayer shall be, more love, O Christ, to Thee,
More love to thee! More love to Thee.
So the message from our Lord ... if you see the root of sexual immorality or idolatry in your life ... repent! Recognize it. Turn around. Decide to live differently. Seek help if needed. But turn ...
And to those who overcome ... the promise is hidden manna and a white stone with a new name. Manna was food from heaven for the Israelites as they wandered for 40 years in the wilderness before entering Canaan. Nourishment, sustenance, food ... from the hand of God. The "white stone" is not as straightforward. Two possible meanings: 1) at this particular time, a white stone was often used for voting the innocence of a person and a black stone for guilty. Overcomers are given a "white stone"! or 2) there was a custom in the Roman Empire to give people white stones with their name on it and this was their admission ticket to special feasts. There is a feast coming! (Revelation 19: 7, 9)
Either way ... I know that I want to be among the overcomers! Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment