May 26, 2009

Colossians: Study Guide

Let's begin! Our study will cover 6 weeks and will contain 3 sections for study and meditation each week. I am excited about exploring this little letter from Paul to the faithful believers in Colosse. I think there is MUCH we will discover that applies to us in this time and in your place.

Outline:

Week 1: Section 1: Colossians 1: 1 - 8
Section 2: Col 1: 9 - 11
Section 3: Col 1: 12 - 14

Week 2: Section 1: Col 1: 15 - 23
Section 2: Col 1: 15 - 23 (too much here for 1 day!)
Section 3: Col 1: 24 - 29

Week 3: Section 1: Col 2: 1 - 7
Section 2: Col 2: 8 - 23
Section 3: Col 2: 8 - 23 (again, too much!)

Week 4: Section 1: Col 3: 1 - 4
Section 2: Col 3: 5 - 11
Section 3: Col 3: 12 - 17

Week 5: Section 1: Col 3: 18 - 4:1
Section 2: Col 4: 2 - 4
Section 3: Col 4: 5 - 6

Week 6: Section 1: Col 4: 7 - 9 and Philemon
Section 2: Col 4: 10 - 13 and Acts 13:13; 15: 36 - 41
Section 3: Col 4: 14 - 18

For this study, I think the following format will prove useful. Plan to use a journal or some form of notebook for taking your own notes and making observations. I plan to have 2 sections in my notebook. The first will be for notes to myself as I do the weekly study. As you read and reflect on each section, ask yourself these questions: 1) What do I learn from these verses? and 2) How do I apply that lesson in my life right now? The second will be for 2 lists. One list will carry the title: "What do I learn about my Lord Jesus Christ?" As you do your daily study, whenever you find a phrase or a descriptor of Jesus, add it to your list. The next list will carry the title: "What do I learn about eveyday living as a faithful disciple of Christ?" Add phrases or instructions from Paul to these believers when he tells them how to live as disciples. Bring those instructions into our time and into your own life.

My prayer for us as we begin: Our Lord, fill us with the knowledge of Your will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding that we may live lives worthy of our LORD and that we may please Him. We desire to bear fruit and to grow in knowledge of You. (Col 1: 9 - 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment