October 2, 2009

Ephesians: Lesson 4 - Day 1

Ephesians 2: 11 - 22

As you read these verses today, watch again for the "before - after" scenarios. In your notebook, make two columns ... one side for the "formerly" and one side for the "in Christ". Spend some time reflecting on those things. Don't just write them down as an exercise or an assignment ... think about yourself ... how those phrases described you before you were "in Christ" ... and what it means to you to be "in Christ." It will lead you into a beautiful time of worship. Immerse yourself there! Are you not "in Christ"? Let me hear from you ... let's talk!

Now focus on verses 11 - 13. Paul tells us to "remember". This is the only imperative that Paul gives in the first 3 chapters of this letter - the only direct instruction. Why does it matter - remembering? We love to remember the good things, the joyful times, the successes. And they are important to remember because they remind us of joy and strength and victory. However, we are not as ready to remember the painful, the abusive, the failures. In fact, many of us may suppress those memories deep down never to be thought about again! But Paul calls these Ephesians to remember how bad it was! I can think of a couple of reasons to remember the painful ... First, it stands in stark contrast to the now, in Christ. The contrast keeps us from becoming so familiar with the current that we forget how far we have come! The contrast helps keep us from becoming jaded. Secondly, remembering the painful allows us to see the scars, and see how the hand of God held us or walked us or carried us through tough times and circumstances. So remember ... it is good.

Most commentators see a veiled reference to the Temple in Jerusalem in verse 13. The Temple had several courts before you came to the actual Holy Place. And the most outer ring was the court of the Gentiles. A Gentile could not go past that court. In Josephus's description of the Temple, he says: "When you went through these first cloisters unto the second court of the Temple, there was a partition made of stone all round, whose height was three cubits. Its construction was very elegant; upon it stood pillars at equal distances from one another, declaring the law of purity, some in Greek and some in Roman letters, that no foreigner should go within the sanctuary." (from: The Wars of the Jews) In fact, for a Gentile to go past the wall was his death sentence! This wall, this barrier, shut the Gentile out from the presence of God.

Imagine it ... shut out. No access. Paul knew that barrier very well. In fact, his final arrest in Jerusalem which led to his being in Rome and in prison, was because he was accused (falsely) of bringing an Ephesian Gentile, Trophimus, into the Temple beyond this wall. (Acts 21: 28 - 29)

But "in Christ" ... the barrier walls are down. You can be "brought near". No longer excluded because of country or culture or ethnicity or economics or education or history or sin or ... You can be brought near to God because of Jesus ... in Him ... through the Holy Spirit ... access to the very person of Jehovah God. Astounding. Remarkable. Awe-inspiring. Gratitude enhancing. And the "message" that our world desperately needs to hear. It is the "message" that our churches desperately needs to REMEMBER!

Do you need to remember?

1 comment:

  1. Having been born into a Christian family, some of my earliest memories are of singing "Jesus Loves Me" and "O How I Love Jesus." I can't remember a time when I didn't know who He was, or didn't love Him. But there's a big difference between loving someone and being in love with that person. We sometimes sing a song:

    "When I first fell in love with Jesus
    I gave Him all my heart
    And I thought I couldn’t love Him more
    Than I did right from the start
    But now I look back over the mountains
    And the valleys where we’ve been
    And it makes me know that I love Him
    So much more than I did then.

    I keep falling in love with Him, over and over and over and over again..."


    Before I fell in love with Him, He was a good friend; now, He is the only Friend that truly matters. I always wanted to "be good"; His faithfulness made me want to be perfect. The more I love Him, the more I realize how puny my love is next to His; how many times have I returned to find Him right where I left Him -- right where I left Him? How could I not fall madly in love with such a Bridegroom!

    When I reflect on how far out of His comfort zone He went for me, gratitude spurs me to step further out of my own comfort zone for Him. The transformation process (Philippians 1:6) is not over yet, and it's definitely a long one, but the more in love I become with Him, the more willing I become to submit to the refining processes He will use to make me His masterpiece.

    "Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness." Psalm 115:1

    ReplyDelete