June 20, 2011

Thirst

My home town of Houston is suffering from drought this summer.  We did not experience the usual spring rains that keep the trees green and the flowers in bloom.  Therefore the ground is hard, plants are not growing ... in fact, they are dying unless someone is consistently watering them.  Trees are reaching that critical point where the reserves of their own moisture have been exhausted.  Without water they will die.  Without water, growth and life and beauty cannot exist. 

Listen to Jesus as He speaks with a woman at a water well in Samaria.  The words are found in John 4: 13 - 14.   Everyone who drinks this water will be thristy again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.  Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.      

Jesus uses the same picture in John 7: 37 - 39:  On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."  By this He meant the Spirit, whom those who believe in Him were later to receive. 

Are you thirsty?  Do you ever see yourself as one of the plants that are withering because of a lack of water?  How is your spirit?  Are you growing?  Jesus knows that we all long for fulfillment and satisfaction.  And Jesus knows where that satisfaction comes from.  So He uses the image of thirst ... of longing for water.  And then He lets us know that the way to quench the thirst is through Him and His Spirit. 

Are you applying the water of life, the person of Jesus to fill you and satisfy you?  It is a daily process.  As many of us take breaks from our usual routines this summer, we must be vigilant to not take a recess from spending time with our Lord ... listening to Him ... being quiet in His presence ... taking in His Word.  We do not have to experience a drought in our soul ... apply the water of the person of Christ to your soul today ... and tomorrow ... but begin today. 

Near the end of the Bible is a splendid passage that thrills me every time I read it.  In fact, it is one of the passages I have written on an index card to keep in the forefront of my mind.  Thrill with me to these words and this promise ...

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"  And let him who hears say, "Come!"  Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.     Revelation 22:17
A free gift ... the water of life ... a gift from God.   Thank you Lord! 
(And I pray for rain in south Texas)

2 comments:

  1. and oh how our prayers are being answered...God is good!!! Enjoy your time friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The free gift of the water of life is indeed ever so peaceful and refreshing! My soul thirsts for it! It quenches me and keeps me renewed. It allows love to flow in me, through me, and out of me. It is so very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete