September 24, 2011

Micah 6:9 - 7:7 (Week 3 - Post 2)

Today, read Micah 6:9 - 7:7 as we continue to hear, and to think about, Micah's final sermon.

Micah once again paints the bleak picture of corruption and darkness that permeates the land and the people of God.  We can so easily make the parallels with our own country and cities ... where corruption and greed and dishonesty and bribes seem to carry the day. 

What does one do?  If you "hear" this message from Micah and long to respond to the God who is merciful enough to send out the warning ... what do you do? 

Yes, we confess our own complicity and trust the forgiveness of our merciful God ... but these few verses give us another glimpse into the appropriate response from each one of us.  We find it in 7:7:

But as for me,
I watch in hope for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior;
my God will hear me.

Did you catch it?  "But as for me ..."  That's the phrase!  That's the person I want to be. 

One of the mantras that has carried me through some pretty bleak times is, "I am responsible for the purity of my motives and the integrity of my behavior."  Period.  I can't be responsible for yours.  I can be concerned, moved, challenged, etc. - but I can't be responsible. I can only be responsible for mine.  Each of us carries the responsibility for our own lives - regardless of the culture in which we live.  Regardless of the families we had or didn't have, currently have or don't have.  Regardless of the struggles or the joys of our current situations.  Regardless ...

"But as for me".  How are you living in our corrupt culture?  The excuses are known by us very well.

           Well, everyone else does it (whatever "it" may be that violates the righteousness of God). 
           God would not expect me to stay with this spouse - he/she doesn't make me happy anymore.
           No one will see.
           I have a right to my revenge.
           I can cheat a little ... I'll be careful to not get caught.
           Of course I didn't mean it ... I lied to get my way.
           Guarantee?  You've got to be kidding!
           I promised?  Oh, well ...
           I deserve this thing.  No, I can't afford it but I can work the system to get it anyway. 
           I'll treat him/her anyway I want ... she's not worth anything.  He doesn't matter. 

And on and on and on ...

"But as for me".  Oh my friends ... the only person on the planet you have any control over is you.  Look around you.  Where do you need to stand and say, "I know this is how the 'world' thinks ... but as for me." 

Will you join me in committing to a new group?  Let's form the "But As For Me" association!  

BUT AS FOR ME

We are the Bas-for-me' organization - the "But As for Me" girls!  Want to join?  Initiation fee is everything you have - all of it.  Annual dues are your total surrender to God.  It will take courage.  It will take an ever-growing knowledge of our Lord and God.  It will take a willingness to go against the "flow" of our culture and world.  But the good news?  You won't get kicked out for messing up! 

I'm in!  How about you? 



          


No comments:

Post a Comment