January 2, 2013

Blindness (Matthew 12 - P 30)

Our reading in scripture today is Matthew 12: 15 - 50.  As you read, remember the Pharisees have begun to plot against Jesus.  They are the people in power in that society ... they were the ones with influence and importance ... and they had turned against Jesus.  See what God tells you as you read ... then return.

Jesus is accused in our reading today of being in league with Satan.  Jesus refutes the accusations with impeccable logic.  Here's what intrigues me ... when you have already made up your mind about something ... no amount of logic or reason or evidence will change it.  It is as if the person has chosen blindness.  One CANNOT see when the mind is closed.  Prejudice and hatred ALWAYS obliterate vision and reason.  This particular chapter in Matthew provides illustration after illustration.


  1. Jesus casts a demon out of a man who could not see or speak ... he cured him ... the man could now see and speak.  But rather than rejoice, Jesus' enemies condemned and coupled Him with Satan.  How could they not see?
  2. Jesus' enemies asked for a sign.  A sign?  What about the demon being cast out?  Not sign enough?  What about the blind being given sight?  What about the lame being able to walk?  What about the withered hand restored in the beginning of this chapter?  A sign?  However, when you don't want to see ... you will not see.  
  3. Repentance cannot come from hearts of stone and hatred.  Jesus provides these teachers and Pharisees opportunity after opportunity for repentance.  He is not subtle.  He does not make his points obscure.  But when one has chosen blindness ... one sees absolutely no need for change and repentance.  
The little, simple prayer song is at the forefront of my mind as I think about these things ...

Open our eyes, Lord ... we want to see Jesus
to reach out and touch Him ... and say that we love Him
Open our ears, Lord, ... and help us to listen,
Open our eyes, Lord ... we want to see Jesus.



May that be your prayer today ... as it is mine.  My mother is losing her eyesight.  And it is a frightening thing when you have been seeing your entire lifetime of 80+ years.  She did not choose blindness ... but it is coming.  She did not want blindness ... but it is coming.  I desperately do not want to CHOOSE blindness in relationship to spiritual things.  I want to see!  Fully!!!

There are several other truths that loom from the pages of Matthew 12.  They provide the points of application for me ... the places where the truth of Matthew 12 collides with my own life ... the places where I can practice, and/or repent and then practice!  I will list a few of mine ... and would love to hear a few of yours:

  • my God desires mercy ... always (12:7)  [Where can I show it today?]
  • I will not speak against God or His Spirit (12:32)  [I will only use God's name, or the Spirit's name with the utmost respect and careful consideration ... no lame joking.]
  • watch out for careless words (12:36)  [Guard your words today.]
  • fill myself up with good things ... fill my heart with good, with God ... leave no void or empty space (12: 43 - 45)   [I will not waste time today.  I will focus upon God and His character and act accordingly.]
  • pray that I do the will of the Father ... and am, therefore, a sister of my Lord! (12:50)  [I will rejoice today in my familial relationship with Jesus and the Father.  'Your will be done ... in my life ... today.']
God, help us choose to see You ... to see as clearly as is possible with our limited, earth-bound sight.  Help us see our own behaviors and attitudes ... clearly.  Give us sight ...


No comments:

Post a Comment