June 24, 2013

The Unimaginable (Matthew 28 - P 75)

Our reading today ...
Matthew 28: 1 - 15

Matthew gives us such an abbreviated account of this remarkable event.  We learn a little more from the other gospel writers ... but we still are left with a desire for so much more detail!  

As I write this morning, my heart is aching with a throb that you know as well.  The past few days have carried much pain ... and loss.  One of my daughters said 'good-bye' to a precious friend who died from cancer.  The sister of one of my dearest friends died yesterday.  And yet ... and yet ...

These few verses we read today give us a glimpse into the unimaginable truth of resurrection.  Death conquered - overcome - denied victory.

Allow me to make some observations from Matthew's account of this event.

First, notice it was Mary Magdalene and the 'other Mary' who were going to the tomb that morning.  It was these Marys who had walked the entire way with their Lord.  They stayed at the cross and did not run.  They sat by the tomb at the burial.  They were coming to the tomb on that Sunday morning.  And they were the first witnesses of Jesus - alive.  My name is not 'Mary' ... but I want to be in their company!  I want to be 'another Mary' - one who does not desert - one who walks faithfully all the way, even when I do not understand - one whose faith is stronger than anything this fallen world can hurl at me.  Join me, won't you?  Let's form a "Mary" coalition that covers the globe - the faithful ones!  

Second, look again at the description of their emotions in verse 8.  They were "afraid yet filled with joy".  Those two emotions can coexist in one heart at the very same moment.  Joy is from the God.  It is one of the remarkable gifts he gives his people.  Recall what Jesus told his disciples recorded in 
John 15:11
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
Jesus followers are full of His joy.  And it is complete joy.  It does not depend on smooth circumstances.  It is from him - through him - and by him.  Our Marys were filled with joy.  But that astounding joy does not necessarily negate feelings of fear.  When we don't understand - when we don't know what is coming - when circumstances are beyond any personal control - when pain is hovering at our door - there can be fear.  I believe that is why the command, "Don't be afraid", is the most repeated command in all of scripture.  This old world is full of things that cause us to be afraid.  But in our "Mary Coalition", fear and joy can coexist.  

Third, we observe the pitiful attempt by the chief priests to cover up the truth.  The guards told them what had happened - and yet, even truth from eye witnesses would not turn their darkened hearts.  How many times have we seen that repeated in our own country - cover ups to hide the truth?  It seems to be humanity's way of handling what it does not like.  What tragedy - both then and now.

So what difference does this resurrection event make in our lives?  It makes all the difference!  Mary saw Jesus - alive.  He told her to go and tell his brothers to go to Galilee and they would see him also.  Jesus - alive.

Amy Grant sings a song titled, "Lay Down Your Burdens".  It is on her album, "Rock of Ages - Hymns of Faith".  I think that song speaks to the difference the resurrection makes for me - in my life - right now.  Listen ...

CHORUS


Lay down your burden I will carry you
I will carry you my child, my child
Lay down your burden I will carry you
I will carry you my child, my child



Cause I can walk on water ..
Calm a restless sea
I've done a thousand things you've never done
And I'm really watching
While you struggle on your way
Call on my name, Ill come


Repeat Chorus


I give vision to the blind
I can raise the dead
I've seen the darker side of hell
And I've returned
I've seen those sleepless night
And count every tear you cry
Some lessons hurt to learn


Repeat Chorus

Indeed, Jesus saw the "darker side of hell and returned".  

So the lesson for me ... for you ...

Call on His Name 
He will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment