October 15, 2013

Preparing for Temptation (Post 9)

Jesus warned Peter about the temptation from Satan that was coming his way.  I don't think Peter ignored it - I just think he had no frame of reference to accept it.  So Jesus goes the next step - he had warned Peter - now he would show him how to prepare for temptations that are sure to come.

Read Mark 14: 32 - 42

You prepare through prayer.  This reading has been such a strong reminder to me about being diligent in prayer.  I can get careless, can you?  I have a tendency to go to prayer when I need something - or when someone I love needs something.  Jesus knew what was coming - both for himself and for Peter.  Jesus needed these closest of his disciples to watch over him and cover him in prayer.  Jesus knew that the temptation to avoid the will of God was powerful, compelling.  And he needed support.  But, alas, these three men were tired.  It had been a long few days in Jerusalem.  And, once again, they did not realize the seriousness of the situation.  

"Keep watch with me," Jesus told his friends.  Is anyone in your life asking that of you?  Are you willing to ask those closest to you to "keep watch" over you?  Most of us do not.  We ask for prayer when we are sick - or suffering loss.   But as a protection against temptation?  

Jesus gave a model prayer for his disciples.  We call it the Lord's prayer.  You may know it by memory.  It is a wonderful thing to have in your mind and memory.  Recall this line:

"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

That is still an important part of our prayer life.  Pray it for yourself.  Pray it over your friends.  Pray it over your children, your spouse.  Keep watch.  Don't get careless.  Don't assume that you cannot prepare for the temptations that Satan will bring your way.  I think Jesus is telling us in this passage that we CAN prepare.  We CAN keep watch over our own souls and the souls of those we love.  Are you willing?  Or are you too tired?

I cannot know what you will have to face tomorrow.  Nor can I know what is in my immediate future.  But we can know that the tempter will be there and will subtly throw things our way to get us off course, to cause us to walk outside the will of God for us.

My desire is to be "prayed up" ... to be ready ... and right now, I pray for everyone of you who will read these words:

Our Father, lead us not into temptation.  Deliver us from the evil one.  Guard our hearts and our minds from the temptations of worldliness.  Wake us up to the evil one's schemes.  Give us alert minds and hearts.  To you is the glory and the power for evermore.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment