September 24, 2014

The Final Snapshot (Post 21)

The final glimpse we get of Peter's life is found in Acts 12.  Let's settle in there for a bit today:

Read Acts 12: 1 - 17

What a story!  There are so many remarkable things in this encounter.  Let's consider a few.  You may see others as well.  Let me know!  

First, Peter is again in prison, in chains - and the promise of harsh persecution loomed right on the horizon.  John's brother, James, had already been killed.  The plan was to put Peter on "trial" right after the Passover Feast.  Does that sound familiar?  His Lord had walked that path before him.  I wonder if that is why he could be asleep while chained between two soldiers.  What kind of peace of heart allows one to sleep in those conditions?  He was so sound asleep that the angel had to thump him to wake him up!  That thought challenges me.  My tendency is to have a hard time sleeping when circumstances are not good.  I can't get my mind to "turn off".  I mentally rehearse all the possibilities and 'what ifs' and details over and over and over again.  

Peter KNEW his LORD ... and could sleep in tough places.
LORD, I want to know you ...

Second, God's sovereign will is far above my limited ability to understand or explain ... and that is OK.  Why was Peter rescued and James killed?  What was the purpose of that?  I don't know.  We can't know.  
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways."    Isaiah 55: 8 - 9 

Peter TRUSTED his LORD ... and could handle whatever came his way.
LORD, I want to trust You ... help me in the struggle.

Third, Peter was willing to obey ... to move ... to do.  Surely the angel who caused Peter's chains to just drop off could have gotten the shoes on his feet and the cloak around him.  But, even in the midst of the miraculous, God's people are participants, not bystanders.  Remember when Jesus brought Lazarus from the grave?  People had to roll the stone from the tomb.  Remember when Jesus healed the lame man who had been let down through a roof?  He was told to roll up his own mat.  Warren Wiersbe writes:  "God alone can do the extraordinary, but His people must do the ordinary."  

Peter OBEYED his LORD ... he has learned.
LORD, I want to be a person of obedience ... today ... I choose it.

One final thought, even while the church was earnestly in prayer for Peter, they were still totally surprised when he appeared at their door.  Was it lack of faith?  I don't think so.  I was in an interesting conversation some years ago with a group of students and we were discussing why believers were so surprised by God's answering some prayers like we asked.  The discussion swirled around our little faith, etc.  Then one woman quietly said, "I don't see it as little faith.  I see it as living on the edge of awe."  That phrase has stuck with me and I love it.  God keeps us on the edge of awe if we will keep our eyes open to Him.  

LORD, You are truly ... AWE-SOME!

This is the last scene that scripture gives us of the man, Peter.  Scripture now turns its attention to the Gentile world.  The man, Paul, is chosen by God to take the lead on that front.  Peter had opened the door.  He gave legitimacy to the entire endeavor.  And now Paul steps up.  We hear no more detail about the life of Peter.  We know he traveled for the sake of the believers and the church.  No doubt, he remained at the helm.

Peter ... such passion.  In him, Jesus saw such promise.  And Peter's love for and commitment to his LORD matured him into a great hero of faith for you and me.  We have observed the transformation of Peter.  No longer full of self-confidence and swagger, he has become God-confident and strong.  He fulfilled the mission laid on him by Jesus - no longer a fisher of fish, but a fisher of men - no longer a self-appointed spokesman for his group, but a pastor for the people of God, Jew and Gentile alike.

And so he writes ... to God's people ... to believers then and now.  We will turn our attention to the two letters that Peter wrote.  

We have watched Peter ... now let's listen to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment