May 13, 2015

Peter as Pastor - Living Well - 1 Peter 4:1-11 (P 26)

How do we live well in this chaotic, messy, frightening world?  How do we live well when faced with crises and loss and crime and wars and violence and economic collapse?  How do we live well when insults and ridicule mark nearly every aspect of life in our culture?  Peter has a message about just that - living well as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Read 1 Peter 4: 1 - 11

Let's notice a few of Peter's instructions. As we identify them, remember to examine your own life place right now and do a personal inventory.  Are you "living well"?

 First, he writes that we no longer live a life of "dissipation".  Eugene Peterson states is this way:
"... you are weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.  Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want."  (The Message Translation)
"Self" can indeed be a tyrannical master.  The "me", "my", "I" can take such a hold on us that we are unable to seek God, to pursue His life in us, to be still and quiet to hear His voice and to know His will.  I also appreciate the image Peterson employs when he compares it to a "weaning".  That indicates process - movement - steadiness - gradual.  So my question ... Am I less enslaved to "me" than I was a year ago?  Do I invest more time seeking God than I did a year ago?  

The second instruction I notice is that we are to be sober minded and self-controlled.  Being clear minded has to do with sanity.  It has to do with seeing things in proper perspective.  It has to do with knowing what matters and what really does not.   It has nothing to do with joyless, morose, somber attitudes.  Self-control.  Well, you know that one.  It says that NOTHING masters me except the Lord.  Not alcohol, not food, not chocolate, not caffeine, not laziness, not busy-ness, not excess of any kind.  Did you notice that there is a reason for this?  It is so that you can pray!  It helps keep our minds clear so that we can focus.  That is a worthy goal.  So my question ... Have I been sober minded today?  Am I refusing to allow anything today take me captive?  

Third, living well means loving well.  We are to love each other - carefully, deeply, always.  Peter is not writing about sentimentality.  He is writing about the decision we make to practice love - in attitude and behavior.  If that language is not specific enough for you, remember how Paul described "love" in 1 Corinthians 13.  He told us that to practice love means being patient with people and kind. It means dealing with my tendency toward jealousy and envy so that I don't let those things spill out over others.  It means I don't boast and brag.  Love is not rude.  It does not focus on "self".  Love doesn't easily get mad.  And it absolutely keeps no record book of every hurt and slight that comes my way.  So the question ... Am I a more loving person today than I was a year ago?  Do I pay attention to practicing love with my biological family?  with my church family?

A fourth instruction about living well as a believer is to practice hospitality and service.  That's just the kind of people we are to be.  Hospitable means welcoming.  Into your home ... into your life.  We serve other people because Christ gave us the model, the example.  Then Peter throws down a gauntlet ... he said we are to be this kind of people without grumbling about it!  Without complaining.  Paul said the same thing in Philippians 2:14 "Do everything without complaining or arguing."  Why does grumbling and complaining feel so good?  Are we afraid no one will notice us? Are we so consumed with "self" that we can't bear to put ourselves out in the least?   It is destructive to our spirit.  It shows a disrespect for God and His activity in our lives.  In his Bible Study, "Lord, Change My Attitude", James MacDonald writes:  "In the short term complaining separates us from God; in the long term it becomes a lifestyle that sends us to the wilderness."  Here is the question: What have I complained about today?  When was the last time I actually had someone in my home other than my family?  Has "grumbling" become a sort of lifestyle habit for me?

To close this section, our Pastor, Peter, reminds us what it means to live well.  He wrote that a life "well lived" is important so that "in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ."  That's the goal.  That's the purpose.  That's the vision.

So ... today ...

LIVE WELL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment