June 10, 2009

Colossians: Week 2: Day 3

Today read Colossians 1: 24 - 29



Four key points jump into my mind as I read these verses. You may have other thoughts that are prominent other than the ones that came to me. If you are willing ... post them for us so that our thinking on these verses can be more fully orbed.



First ... How do you feel about the word "servant"? Most of us in our culture are not comfortable with the word. Years ago when I was teaching school I made a comment about trying to figure out how to best "serve" one of my difficult students. A fellow teacher responded vehemently, "I'm not here to serve anybody!" I was reminded how distasteful that word is to many. I know women who have help with their house cleaning ... and they leave their homes on the day the help arrives because being "served" in that way makes them uncomfortable. And yet Paul describes himself as a "servant" to the church of our Lord. Serving the church is a good thing! So the question arises ... how are you serving the church ... your particular congregation of Christ's people? Or do you feel that the church's task is to serve you? I am so blessed to be allowed to serve my church in a vocational way for this season in my life. But never make the mistake of thinking that service to the church is reserved for those who "work" for the church! How are you serving? Very few find it their vocation ... many find it as their avocation. Definition: Avocation - something one does in addition to his/her work ... usually for pleasure. (New World Dictionary) Pleasurable - not easy.

Lord - make us better servants of your body!



Secondly, I am thrilled when I read that Paul is proclaiming the inclusion of the Gentiles! That is terribly important to me ... because I have no Jewish blood line. Paul addresses this in several of his letters. (examples: Galatians 3: 6 - 9, Romans 4; Ephesians 2: 11 - 22)

Thank you Lord for providing a way for my inclusion in your people!



One of my favorite verses in all of scripture is Colossians 1:27. Make it one of your "memory verses" from this summer study. The mystery of God ... Christ in me ... my hope of glory! As you write it in your notebook, insert your own name. And remind yourself of that truth often!

I can't understand it Lord ... but I accept it because I know you are Truth and in you is no lie or deception. Therefore, today, I say again ... Christ is in me, and that is my hope, my expectation of glory from Your hand and with Your Son! Praise be to God.



And lastly, in verse 29 Paul tells us how he is able to continue on in the face of struggles and trials and difficulties, as well as the joys of his work. It is by utilizing "all His energy". Whose energy? Not his own. The energy of God, through His Spirit. Remember the truth of verse 27? Christ in you ... that means His life, His energy, His mind, His strength is avaiable to you and I. Remarkable. That energy worked powerfully in Paul. My prayer?

Lord, help me know better how to utilize the energy that You have made avaiable to me. I tend to use only my own. And it is too puny and weak. I tire easily. I get discouraged easily. Today, may I do my service - to my family, my work, my church - with Your energy. May that be the fuel that empowers my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment