February 9, 2011

Life Source - Week 4 - Day 2 ** John 9

Our reading today is John 9

This chapter narrates an intriguing story.  It is another of the "signs" that John records to lead his readers to faith.  Several things impress me.  Let me share a few ...

First, the disciples saw a chance for a theological discussion ... Jesus saw a man who could not see.  The song, "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath comes immediately to mind.  Sometimes I, too, am more interested in talking "about" Jesus, or religious matters, or theological questions, than I am about walking in Jesus' steps ... seeing people through His eyes ... doing the "work of God" (verse 4).

Secondly, this blind man did not seek out Jesus and ask for help.  Jesus saw him ... went to him ... helped him without requiring anything at all from him.  How often do we reserve our help to those who want it ... who ask for it.  That way we can determine if they are "worthy" of our help or not.  I realize that we must be wise.  After all, I work in a church ... and the scam artists abound ... those who learn how to milk the churches in our community.   And we must be wise stewards of our resources.  But I am talking about on a personal level.  When was the last time you ever just helped someone because they needed help and you happened to be there?  I think to have the eyes of Jesus ... we need to see more of those opportunities.  Perhaps we can be a bit blind ourselves!

The third thing that strikes me as remarkable in this encounter is the progressive nature of this man's faith.  Did you see it?  His understanding of who Jesus was grew ...
  1. the man they call Jesus (verse 11)
  2. he is a prophet  (verse 17)
  3. this man from God  (verse 33)
  4. Lord!  (verse 38)
Don't miss that his understanding and his confidence grew as he dealt with opposition.  I need to remember that when dealing with the opposition that I must sometimes face.  He moved from no knowledge of the real identity of Jesus to full faith is His Lordship!  And he worshiped.  How about you?  Don't become discouraged if you feel that your understanding of Jesus is not very far down the road.  Respond to what you do know ... and let it grow.  Be faithful in the little things ... and it will grow. 

Lastly, I love the blind man's statement in verse 25.  "One thing I do know.  I was blind but now I see."  So often we must stand firm on the "one thing we do know".  We will not be able to answer all the questions the world throws at us.  We will not be able to explain all the reasons for suffering and pain and loss and destruction.  But each of us ... in faith ... can follow this man's example. 

Don Francisco is a singer ... a troubadour really ... who puts God's Word to music.  He tells the stories in song.  One of his songs is "Since I Met Him I Can See" and it tells this man's story and his encounter with Jesus.  I include the words of that song as we close our thoughts today ...

Now it's hard to describe what my life used to be
To someone who's always been able to see
You know I wasn't unhappy or bitter that way
But everything changed since I met Him that day.
I was down by the corner just passing the time
Sittin' in the sunlight and feeling it shine.
When the sounds of a crowd began to grow in my ear
So I waited and I listened as I heard them draw near.
Then a man stepped up to me and He spat on the ground
He put the mud on my eyes and then smeared it around
Sent me off to Siloam to wash of the clay
I opened my eyes - and I looked at the day!

And I have no idea how He did it
I just know what happened to me
Yesterday I was in darkness
But since I met Him - I can see!

When the Pharisees heard it, they put me on trial
Even called in my parents and grilled them awhile.
And when in the end I defended the man
who had opened my eyes - all the trouble began.
Because I said - "Ever since the beginning of time
No one's opened the eyes of someone born blind.
This man's sent from God - it just can't be denied."
And they cursed me and grabbed me and threw me outside.

I really don't know how He found me
But I know who was talking to me
It was easy to tell by the sound of His voice
He was the reason I see.
And as soon as He spoke to me I couldn't hide
the emotion that welled up from deep down inside
And combined with the dreams that He'd made to come true
To kneel there and worship was all I could do.

And I called Him my Lord and Messiah
For everything He'd done for me.
For yesterday I was in darkness
But since I met Him - I can see.

And I called Him my Lord and my Savior
For everything He's done for me
Because yesterday I was in darkness
But since I met Him - I can see!


Our Lord and our God ... thank you for sight.  Thank you for our physical eyes.  But thank you mostly for spiritual sight.  For the gift of being able to see Jesus.  And we pray that you will increase, day by day, our ability to truly see!

No comments:

Post a Comment