March 23, 2011

Life Source - Week 10 - Day 2 ** John 19: 17 - 27

As we continue with Jesus' story ... today, read John 19: 17 - 27.  Since we are not covering very many verses, read slowly, carefully, meditatively.  After reading ... come back.

The soldiers took Jesus' clothes.  I have read such horror stories from concentration camp experiences during WWII about people being stripped, humiliated, violated.  We don't even want to be screened at airports because it feels like our privacy is being violated.  I can't imagine ... and yet the prophet Isaiah tells us in Isaiah 50:7 when speaking of the coming Messiah, "Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced."

The symbolism is powerful.  Jesus, Son of God, took off His righteousness and put on my sin.   You and I have nothing ... Isaiah 64:6 tells us that "our righteous acts are like filthy rags."  We learn in 2 Corinthians 5:21 that "God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." 

Jesus was disrobed ... He willingly laid aside His own righteousness and spotlessness.  Why?  What in the world would motivate anyone to do such a thing?  For love ... He so desires that we have the freedom to take off our filthiness and put on His righteousness ... so He was willing.  Have you accepted the fact that Jesus wants to clothe you?   He wants you to put on Himself so that you can wear His righteousness ... so that God will look on you through the lens of Jesus.  Don't stay in your old clothes, your old self.  Jesus is waiting for you with a new self ... a new creation ... Listen to the apostle Paul in Colossians 1:21 - 22:
Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.  But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation.
Amazing! 

As we close our thoughts today ... consider this little band of women in verse 25.  Scripture tells us that they were "near the cross".  I am moved by their faithfulness.  I am touched by their willingness to walk all the way to the end with their Lord.  I want to be like them.  I want to stay "near the cross".  I don't want to ever forget the price paid for my redemption so that I can be with God ... so that I can be in that family. 

In 1840, a woman by the name of Sarah Adams wrote these words:

Nearer my God to Thee
Nearer to Thee!
Even though it be a cross that raiseth me;
Still all my song shall be
Nearer my God to Thee
Nearer to Thee.


Lord, that is our song today - nearer to Thee.  Hold us there.  Even when it means walking through difficult and dark places ... even when it means carrying our own crosses ... even when it means being in places that may be scary ... if it takes us nearer to Thee ... then so be it!  Ever nearer to You ...

No comments:

Post a Comment