March 16, 2011

Life Source - Week 9 - Day 2 ** John 18: 1 - 27

Jesus has finished his final discourse and conversation with his disciples ... He has prayed for them, allowing them to hear His prayer so that they could know His desires for them. Therefore, it is now time ... I can almost imagine Jesus taking a deep breath ... and walking out to let it begin.

Read John 18: 1 - 27

Some observations ...

1.  From the arrest:  A Roman cohort is a company of 300 - 600 Roman soldiers.  Now add a number of Pharisees and representatives of the high priest ... we have quite a crowd coming against Jesus and His small band of followers.  Don't let the absurdity of the scene slip past you.  This scene erases any doubt that Jesus' arrest and coming death was voluntary on His part.  His majesty dropped this crowd of soldiers to their faces.  Another thing that impresses me here is the courage of Peter.  Visualize the crowd ... visualize the hopelessness of the physical odds ... and watch Peter draw a sword and attack.  So the arrest takes place ... Jesus is bound ... and led away. 

2.  From the 'trials':  At this time, there was a small inner circle of high priests, headed by Annas and Caiphas, who ruled Jerusalem and were allowed that power by Rome.  As long as there were no uprisings or rebellions, they got to keep their power. 

3.  From Peter's 'denials':  My heart aches for Peter.  Can you imagine the turmoil, the anxiety, the confusion that must have tormented him?  Why had Jesus let them take Him?  Peter had watched Him do amazing, powerful, earth-shattering things in the past 3 years.  And He just walked away with them?  When Jesus was riding high in popularity, it was great to be one of His closest followers ... but now?  After being willing to die with Jesus in the Garden at the arrest, what happened to Peter?  I think it had to do with confusion ... I think it had to do with fear ... I think it had to do with our natural tendency toward self-preservation.  And Peter failed His Lord.  And a rooster began to crow ...

What do you and I take from these verses?  For me ... I want to learn from Peter.  Jesus had warned him about this denial ... and I don't think Peter thought it was at all possible.  We must stay ever alert to our own weaknesses.  I don't think we obsess over them ... that is not healthy ... but we must stay aware of their ability to hurt us.  What would cause you to deny your Lord?  Would fear for personal safety do it?  Would lack of understanding about the ways of God do it?  Would the crises that occur in our world do it?  What about earthquakes and tsunamis?  What about hurricanes and tornadoes?  What about wars and man's inhumanity to man?  What about the death of godly people ... those prayed over ... intensely? 

In the face of the confusing, the unfair, the wretched things in our world ... I rest in one thing ...

I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand. 
Isaiah 46: 9 - 10 

If you find yourself in a time of confusion ... when perplexity seems to take precedence in your mind ... stand in front of your mirror and repeat these words from Isaiah.  And choose to trust ... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment