November 1, 2011

Antidote - Hosea 4:1 - 6:3 (Week 8 - Post 3)

We are still reflecting on Hosea 4:1 - 6:3.  The first section of Hosea is the first 3 chapters and is the visual and experiential picture of God and His relationship with Israel.  He pictured it through the experience of Hosea and his wife, Gomer.  In the second section of the book, God is bringing His case against Israel. 

We looked into the core of the problem - there was no knowledge of God left in the land.  The people had ignored the Word of God so long ... they had gone their own way so long ... they had chosen their own wisdom and desires so long ... that any knowledge of God was gone.   The people had intentionally chosen to claim the idols of the surrounding nations for themselves rather than undivided devotion to the God who had brought them out of slavery, protected them, led them in battle and victory, provided for them. 

God gave the gift of free will to man at creation and even He will not violate it.  Man has the freedom to choose his path.  William Barclay has written:  "Before man there stands an open choice; and it has to be so.  Without choice there can be no goodness and without choice there can be no love.  A coerced goodness is not real goodness; and a coerced love is not love at all." 

We watch as the men and women of Israel consistently choose to go the way of idolatry.  And with that continual choice ... they are 'given over' to the "wrath".  The "wrath" is the consequence of going the way of sin.  It is the way God built the world.  For example, if a farmer violates the laws of agriculture, his crop will fail.  If a builder violates the laws of architecture, his building will collapse.  In like manner, if we violate the codes of morality, we will die. 

The see the exact same principle described in New Testament times, the time of the Greco-Roman world and the Roman Empire, read Romans 1: 18 - 32.  You will see the same pattern.  The same loss of knowledge of God.  The same slide into depravity.  Can you see any parallels in our own country, our own land? 

So where does that leave us? 

First ... it leaves me flat on my face saying with Paul in Romans 7: 25 - 8:2  "Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!  ... There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."

Secondly, this slide into ignorance of God and the subsequent depravity seems to be the way of fallen humanity.  I desperately DO NOT want to go down that road!  I want to protect myself, my children.  I want to guard my heart.  Remember ... we are the "But As For Me" girls!  So how are we to live? 

The antidote to this deadly path is found in the book of Philippians from the pen of the apostle Paul.  Philippians 4: 4 - 8 ...

Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. 

There is the antidote.  There is joy in the Lord - in knowing Him - in being known by Him - joy that overcomes and overrides any circumstance in my life.  I will rejoice in Him.  I will treat others with a gentle, meek spirit.  My God will fight my battles for me.  I will not fret in anxiety over my life ... or my health ... or my finances ... or the condition of my world or country.  I will do what I can ... and I will take all my concerns and my fears to God through prayer.  I will rest there.  I will ask for His wisdom.  I will ask for His path.  And I will do it with a spirit of thanksgiving.  Giving thanks in all circumstances.  Because God is worthy of my thanks.  And I will focus my mind on the good.  I will stop obsessing over the ugly, the obscene, the worldly, the profane.  I will focus my mind on things of God.  With my free will, I CHOOSE TO LIVE THERE!  And the peace of God will guard my heart. 

HALLELUJAH and AMEN!!

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment