January 18, 2012

Philippians - Sacrifice (Lesson 1 - Post 2)

We are currently thinking through Philippians 1: 1 - 11.

Today I want to focus our attention on Philippians 1:6
" ... being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
This is one of my favorite passages of scripture.  I find myself going to it so often ... usually when I have experienced a failure  ... or I have disappointed myself.  It has given me reassurance that God is not finished with me ... that there is hope for my "completion" as a follower of Jesus.  I believe there is a place for us to use Paul's words here as a reminder of that very thing.  But I have learned that the language has a much deeper meaning.  Come with me ...

Paul uses two interesting Greek words when he says, "began" and "completion".   I learned the following information from William Barclay through his Daily Study Bible.

The word translated, began, is the Greek word, enarchesthai.  It was a technical term used throughout Greek culture referring to the beginning ritual of a sacrifice.  And that ritual was consistent.  A torch was lit with the fire on the altar; the blazing torch was then dipped into a bowl of water; the sacred flame thus cleansed the water, and with the purified water the victim and the people were sprinkled to make them holy and clean.

The word translated, completion, is the Greek word, epitelein.  This was the verb used for completing the whole ritual of sacrifice, and for carrying out the sacrifice perfectly in every smallest detail.  "The whole sentence, as Paul wrote it, moves in an atmosphere of sacrifice and thinks in terms and pictures of sacrifice."  Paul's readers would be so familiar with that process.

Can you hear Paul better?  He writes in Romans 12:1 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship."

God, Himself, began the sacrifice process.  He came and gave Himself on the altar (the cross) as the victim for sacrifice.  His blood cleanses those who choose to take it onto themselves.  And He will complete it ... perfectly ... in every smallest detail.  You and I are the now the sacrifice.  And we are not to be anxious about our inability to be the perfect sacrifice ... only Jesus could do that.  But we are to be a sacrifice ... willingly ... full of confidence that God will complete it so that it is perfectly pleasing to Him. 

Today ... right now ... stop and thank God for His willingness to take care of that whole process for you.  The beginning ... the end.  Jesus tells us in Revelation that He is the alpha and the omega - the beginning and the end. 

Lord, I pray for each of us thinking through these things right now.  I pray that we will recognize our position as living sacrifices for You.  It is all about You.  You began that good work ... and You will complete that good work.  May we cooperate with You as You purify and cleanse these unworthy sacrifices! 

No comments:

Post a Comment