November 27, 2012

The Called: Part 2 (Matthew 10 - P25)

(continued)

We are making observations from Matthew 9:35 - 10:42.  In Post 24, we looked at the 12 men Jesus called out to continue and spread the work he was doing on earth.  And we noted that Jesus calls us out to be workers in the kingdom of God as well.   Let's continue ...

Observation #2

What was Jesus' motivation for all of the healing and preaching and teaching?   We find it in 9:36.  He had compassion on the crowds ... the people ... the broken ... the distressed ... the incompetent ... the sick.  Compassion.  The Greek word translated, compassion, is splagchnistheis (try pronouncing that!).  It means moved from the deepest places of your being.  We have been reading and watching Jesus as he was moved from the deepest places within himself.

  • moved by human loneliness (remember healing the man of leprosy?)
  • moved by human pain (the sick and diseased and mute, the blind and the paralyzed - the damaged)
  • moved by human sorrow (remember the man whose daughter had died?)
  • moved by human fear (calming the terrifying storm)
  • moved by human lost-ness (forgiving sins and freeing from the demonic)
  • moved by human bewilderment (teaching and engaging in dialogue about fasting and religion, about socializing with outcasts)
Jesus taught and healed, he worked because he was moved by compassion toward people.  So the question arises from the pages ... what moves you?  What is it that stirs your heart and soul and drives you to do something?  I can't answer for you ... only for me.  And I pray that we are honest with ourselves.  Are you (am I) only moved by what is beneficial for me?  What is to my advantage?  What serves me?  Do I only serve those whom I consider important enough?  Deserving enough?  Enough like me?  Belonging to me?  Those I think will return the 'favor'?  

Lord, through your Spirit, help us be moved by the things that moved you.  

Observation #3

Jesus is painfully honest with those whom he calls.  Yes, he has work for them to do.  Yes, it is important work because it is his work.  But Jesus never glosses over the difficulty or the struggles involved with his work.  You can't read Matthew 10 without taking in a deep breath and wondering who in the world would sign up for that ministry?  Jesus' warnings are all about pain and rejection and betrayal and persecution and even death.  What?  Doesn't Jesus know that is not the way to recruit volunteers?!?!  I think he would reply, "It's not the way the WORLD recruits volunteers.  But it is the way I recruit volunteers."  He has already talked with one man about counting the cost of following him in chapter 8.  He does not change his message.

Here is the most striking thing ... the twelve DID sign up.  Even with all the warnings, with all the predictions, with all the knowledge of what could be ... they still signed up!  And all but 1 of them met with ugly, untimely deaths ... due to their faithfulness to Jesus.  

So what questions bubble up from the text?  Are you only wanting ministry that is 'comfortable'?  Do you only want to do what feels good, what gives immediate reward?  Are you waiting to serve until the people are willing to appreciate you and all you do?  We should not be surprised when the world does not rush to our doorsteps with applause and accolades.   Why should it?  It did not rush to Jesus' side ... in fact, it killed him.  These men stepped up.  They responded?  Will you?  Will I?  

Lord, through your Spirit, give me the courage to step up.  Give me the heart that longs to serve you wherever you place me.  Give me eyes to see the tasks you set before me.  Pull me out of my fascination with myself and give me a heart of compassion ... and strength.


(continued ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment