May 15, 2013

About Service (Matthew 25 - P 65)

We are in the middle of a discourse by Jesus about the kingdom of heaven.  He has just told 2 stories to try and illustrate what seems hard for us to understand.  He told the parable of the 10 Virgins to illustrate the necessity of our being ready and prepared for his coming.  He told the parable of the Talents to illustrate the necessity of our being productive, using God given gifts for the benefit of the kingdom.  And then He says ... "When the Son of Man comes in his glory ..."

Read Matthew 25: 31 - 46

We are accountable.  We are accountable for our behaviors.  We are accountable for our attitudes.  

What do you learn as you read these verses?  They are sobering, aren't they.  Here are some of the things that I hear as I reflect on these words from Jesus ...

First ... I hear that my response to human need is of paramount importance.  Questions arise ... have I become oblivious to the human need around me?  Am I so conditioned to ignore that ignoring becomes a way of life?  If I do respond, do I examine my own boundaries so that my help is done in wisdom, not creating need in another arena?  Do I provide help ... or do I enable irresponsible behaviors?  

Second ... I hear that it is in the little things.  Food ... Drink ... Clothing ... a visit when sick ... or a visit when in bondage.  So the questions ... do I only want to help when it is dramatic and splashy?  Do I need publicity or recognition for helping?  Do I allow the enormity of the human need in this world stop me from doing what I can?  

Third ... I hear that responding to the human need around me is the SAME as doing that small act of service for the Lord himself.  Don't miss the fact that those people did not know they were serving the Lord ... they were merely responding out of a heart of compassion.  I have no doubt that if the folks Jesus identified as "goats" had known that they were serving Jesus ... they would have done it!  And there's the rub.  It's intent ... it's attitude ... it's motivation.  Responding to human need to gain publicity ... to gain personal approval ... to feel good about myself ... that's not help ... that's about self.  I suspect many of us can recall a time when these words came from our mouths:  "Oh if I had know it was you, I would have been glad to ...".  

Fourth ... I hear clearly that there is another kingdom that is not like the one in which we live.  It is the inheritance of the people of God.  And it is real.  And it was planned out and prepared since the creation of the world.  

There is a wonderful story told about Martin of Tours who was a Roman soldier and a Christian.  
One cold winter day, as Martin was entering a city, a beggar stopped him and asked for alms.  Martin had not money; but the beggar was blue and shivering with cold, and martin gave what he had.  He took off his soldier's coat, worn and frayed as it was; he cut it in two and gave half of it to the beggar man.  That night he had a dream.  In it he saw the heavenly places and all the angels and Jesus among them; and Jesus was wearing half of a Roman soldier's cloak.  One of the angels said to him:  'Master, why are you wearing that battered old cloak?  Who gave it to you?'  and Jesus answered softly:  'My servant Martin gave it to me.'

Lord ... grow in me a spirit of compassion.  Help me respond to the need around me.  Help me see your face in the faces of those in need.  Cleanse me from the spirit of judgmentalism  I desire to see people ... not labels ... I desire to offer help in small ways ... no need for grandiosity or comparison with others.  Forgive my failures in the past ... and set my feet on the path of treating others as you did when you walked on this planet amid the hurt and need of others.  You are able ... live THAT life through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment