September 18, 2009

Ephesians: Lesson 2 - Day 1

In this lesson we will narrow our focus to Chapter 1. Read the chapter slowly and carefully. Make note of the phrase, "in Christ". What is your impression as you do that? What stands out to you? Write down your thoughts in your notebook. Do that before you continue reading my impressions. How I wish we could sit across a table and talk about what you heard!

For me ... I had a fresh sense that this first chapter is all about God. Yes, it speaks of disciples and the blessings that they can carry "in Christ" ... but I was overwhelmed by the "God-ness" of chapter 1. I dearly love and cherish the concepts so beautifully expressed in this chapter that relate to me ... the chosen-ness, the redemption, the abundance of spiritual blessing, etc. In fact, had you asked me prior to this particular reading, "what is the first chapter of Ephesians about?" my answer would have been that it is about disciples' spiritual blessings in Christ. And it is ... However, as I have reread, this chapter is all about God. Indeed, there is an abundance of spiritual blessing ... but it is all "in Christ". (1:3) Indeed, God has predestined and adopted those who would believe ... but it is because of His love and His kind intention. (1:5) Indeed, God offers redemption and forgiveness ... but it is because of the riches of His grace. (1:7) Indeed, God reveals things of Himself to us ... but it is again because of His kind intention. (1:9) Indeed, God gives an inheritance beyond anything we can even imagine to His adopted sons and daughters ... but it is because of His purposes. (1:11) Indeed, God gives hope and riches ... but it is because of His strength and might. (1:19) And my eyes are opened to see God a little clearer, a little better through this chapter.

I close out this day's work by praying for you ... all of you who are reading and studying and desiring to know God better ... and I want to pray Paul's prayer from 1: 18-19. Place your name where the pronouns are ... I am using the words as translated in "The Message" by Eugene Peterson:

"I can't stop thanking God for you - but I do more than thank.
I ask - ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory
- to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally,
your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He
is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life
He has for Christians, oh, the utter extravagance of His work in us
who trust Him - endless energy, boundless strength!"

1 comment:

  1. As I read this chapter, and specifically the Peterson version of the prayer you posted above, I was reminded again just how great is the power to which we have access: the power that raised Christ from the dead! Beside that power, any problem I may be facing, any issue I may be dealing with, any frustration or feelings of insecurity pales in comparison. It reminded me of the saying "Don't tell God how big your problems are; tell your problems how big your God is!" Now... to have the courage to let Him do what He wants to do in me, with me, in my life! Please, Lord...

    ReplyDelete