September 21, 2009

Ephesians: Lesson 2 - Day 2

Today, reread Ephesians 1: 3 - 14. As you read, underline the phrase "in Christ" and "in Him". If you are keeping a notebook, make a list of everything you find in these verses that is "in Christ". After you have taken some time to reflect on those things, come back and read on ...


I find the list staggering. On my list I have ...
1. every spiritual blessing (1:3)
2. my chosen-ness (1:4)
3. grace (1:6)
4. redemption (1:7)
5. all things in heaven and earth will come together (1:10)
6. my inheritance (1:11)
7. my hope (1:12)
8. my security (1:12)

Oh my! This passage of scripture confronts any question about the centrality of Christ Jesus. Are there any items on this list that you would opt out of? Anyplace where you would say, "Oh, no thank you. I don't believe I want to be chosen by God or to have an inheritance or to be blessed with every spiritual blessing. Actually, Lord, I don't need hope or grace or security." Ludicrous, no? Christ is central ... to life.

Read John 15: 3 - 9. Over and over Christ says, "Abide in Me." The word translated "abide" (in NASB) and "remain" (in NIV) is the Greek word meno. In addition to the meanings of abide and remain, further descriptions of the word include: not to depart, continually, to continue to be present. How beautifully these verses in Ephesians link onto what Jesus said in John 15. It is as we continually choose to live our lives "in Christ" that these incredible blessings pour out over us! And it is ALL God's doing. So I remind you ... I remind me ... are we making Christ "central" to our lives?

In the Life Application Commentary on Ephesians (published by Tyndale House) it says,
"Because Christ is central to everything, he must be central in us - our highest value and the focus of our lives. In our high-tech, materialistic, relationship-driven, and sex-oriented society, many idols and values compete for our devotion. It becomes easy to be enticed and drawn away or to have our lives cluttered by trivial pursuits. But Christ must be at the center, receiving our total devotion and ordering our priorities. Keep your focus on him and place all your interestes, relationships, desires, possessions, and goals under his control."

In your life, what competes with Christ for that central position? Talk to Him about that. What are the "trivial pursuits" that keep me preoccupied?

Jesus said, "Remain in Me". Paul said, "All spiritual blessings, your hope and security, your redemption and inheritance ... they all lie in Christ."

Do you really want to live anywhere else????

No comments:

Post a Comment