April 10, 2010

A Light in the Darkness: Lesson 10, Day 3

We are still in "Elisha's Photo Album". (Look at Day 2 if that makes no sense to you!) In photo 1, we saw the beautiful picture of redemption. Christ is our redeemer.

Photo 3: Read 2 Kings 4:42 - 44

Remember that this event takes place in a time of famine. There is a 7 year famine in Israel at the time of this event. That fact makes this man's offering all the more poignant. Twenty loaves of bread and some ripe grain from the FIRST of his harvest - not the left-overs. God told Israel to bring Him the firstfruits of the land - produce and livestock. Have you ever thought about why? God is about encouraging faith in us. Trust Me - He says in a myriad of ways. Firstfruits is an act of trust. It says that I will offer to my God the first in my hand ... and I will trust Him for my care. This is a man of faith. Am I? What about you? Consider your offering to God. Is it firstfruits of your life and your resources ... or is it leftovers?

As we look for images of Jesus in these pictures ... listen to 2 Corinthians 15:20
"But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep."
Many of you will recognize this multiplying of food from the story in the New Testament when Jesus did this very thing. You find it in Matthew 14:13 - 21. One thing that continues to impress me is the reality that God is sufficient - even abundant. God's provision is sufficient for me. In fact, Christ Himself is my nourishment. Hear Jesus say, "I AM the bread of life." (John 6:35) Have you taken Him into yourself? Are you feasting on Him every day? He is your life!

Photo 2: Read 2 Kings 6: 1 - 7

In this scene we see the impossible being made possible by God. Iron does not float. And yet God caused this iron axehead to raise up from the bottom of that dirty river. It was lost ... and yet became found. Consider ...
*Is there anything in your life right now that seems impossible to resolve? Don't give up. Pray. Be patient. Nothing is impossible to God.
*Do you feel that you are so far down that nothing can bring you back up? Never fear. You cannot go so far that God does not have His eye on you. And since God is sovereign ... and wise ... and powerful ... He can bring you back to Himself. Trust Him. Talk to Him and trust Him.

Close your time today with these words from Psalm 52: 8 - 9:

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever.
I will praise You forever for what You have done;
in Your Name I will hope, for Your Name is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment