April 22, 2010

A Light in the Darkness: Lesson 12, Day 3

We left Samaria in desperate conditions in our last reading. The city was surrounded by an enemy army and shut off from any resources and help. It was surrender or die. There was famine so severe within the city that cannabalism was being practiced. It is with that horror in our minds that we go back to scripture today ...

Read 2 Kings 7: 3 - 20.

As we observe the relief that comes to Samaria, there are two things that stand out to me.

First, you can't help but notice how the Lord took care of the enemy army without any help from the Israelites. They did NOTHING! As I read about that, I was reminded of Zechariah 4:6 which says, "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." I so often think that God needs my help to accomplish His will. When the reality is ... His will and work WILL be done. The question is whether I will participate in that or not. God doesn't need me ... He allows me. He offers me the privilege of joining in, of experiencing His work. Jesus taught us to pray ..."Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10) I think this is a statement of fact, of reality. And it will be - not because of our might or power or cleverness or persuasiveness - but by the Spirit of God. I long to do my part ... not because it won't get done without me ... but because it is a divine privilege to work alongside the Lord Almighty. Never forget that the Lord is able to handle whatever problem you encounter. Sometimes He may have you work with Him to a solution ... and sometimes He may do it without your help at all! Bottom line is ....... trust Him!

Secondly, did you notice that God used lepers to be the first to find the deliverance? Our God so often uses the disenfrancised from society to reveal divine splendor. Remember He chose shepherds to receive the only formal announcement of the birth of Jesus. The first missionary that we read about in scripture was a Samaritan woman of unsavory repute! (John 4) Be careful before you write someone off as being unworthy of revelation from God!

I love the moment when these lepers' consciouses kick in gear. They realize that the treasure they have "stumbled upon" is too great to keep to themselves. You see, they KNEW they were dying. And they KNEW they had found food. And they KNEW the knowledge was too splendid to selfishly hold for themselves alone.

Do you give witness of the gift of life that you have received from the Lord? I often wonder if we are so hesitant to speak up because we really do not believe we were dying. O my friends ... give testimony to the saving grace of our Lord! Be willing to speak it. Let these 4 lepers be your example ... "We're not doing right. This is a day of good news and we are keeping it to ourselves." (verse 9)

To whom will you speak the good news of our "living bread" this week? Who needs to hear your voice talk about never being hungry or thirsty again? Let your voice be heard ...

No comments:

Post a Comment