April 2, 2010

A Light in the Darkness: Lesson 9, Day 3

I am not ready to leave this Shunammite woman yet. Let's read 2 Kings 4: 8 - 37 again today, looking for things about this woman that impress us.

I think this woman will go on my personal "heroes of faith" list. I so wish I knew her name! I see so many characteristics and behaviors from her that I want to emulate.

1. We looked at her spirit of hospitality in Day 2.

2. She used the resources available to her for good. This particular woman had many resources it seems, but that does not make it a "given" that she would use them for good. I know women with much ... and I know women with little. And I have both witnessed and been a recipient of generosity from those with much and with little. A woman can be greedy and stingy with much or with little - 0r she can be generous. It is the heart within her that dictates the use of those resources. And the size does not matter. Lessons for us? Use what you have for good. Help when and where you can. I hear the apostle Paul saying, "Therefore, as we have the opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:10) I challenge us to examine our hearts - and practice generosity of spirit ... with what God has placed in our hands.

3. She had learned to live with a spirit of contentment. When Elisha asked her what he could do for her ... the response, in essence, was: I am well. She had learned to be content in her circumstances. Did she have everything she longed for? Obviously not. As most women, she had longed for a child - and had none. But that emptiness did not turn her into a bitter person. Again, I hear the apostle Paul saying, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." (Philippians 4:11) Lessons for us? See the fullness in your own life - focus on the fullness - think on the fullness. And practice saying, "I am well."

4. When crisis hit ... she went to God. Her passion to get to Elisha, knowing him to be the prophet of God, shows us that she knew where to take her situation, her heart's desire, her crisis. She did not go to Elisha when she had exhausted all other possibilities. She went to him first. That is a heart of faith. She reminds me of Jacob when he wrestled with God and would not turn loose. You read about that in Genesis 32: 22 - 32. I hear him saying, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." Lessons for us? Take it to the Lord - whatever your "it" may be. And don't quit ... don't turn loose. Go to God first. He may very well send you to some other person. But go to God first. Spend time wrestling with Him over the situation first.

5. And finally, I watch this woman respond to God in pure worship. The encounter closes with these words: "She came in, fell at his feet and bowed to the ground." (verse 37) That is the heart of worship. The contemporary Christian song, "The Heart of Worship" has this phrase: "I'm sorry Lord for the things I've made it. When it's all about You." Worship is a heart bowed low before the sovereign Lord. True worship is not about forms and styles. It is about God and my heart before Him. Lessons for us? Worship God - with your whole being. Worship.

Yes - this woman from Shunem goes on my "heroes of faith" list. I want look more like her in my particular circumstances and behaviors. She was truly "light" in her dark, idol-worshiping culture. I want to be that kind of light. Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment