October 6, 2011

Habakkuk (Lesson 5 - Post 1)

We will spend 2 weeks studying the Minor Prophet, Habakkuk.  Three chapters only ... but so rich in foundational truth for each and every one of us. 

Kay Arthur tells us that it was the truth of this little book that influenced Martin Luther and fueled the reformation.  Luther was tormented by the idea that he served a righteous God who could not be satisfied.

And it was the truth of this little book that influenced a single woman, Hannah Hurnard, who was a missionary in Israel.  This book is what inspired her to write "Hinds' Feet on High Places" - one of the classics in Christian devotional reading. 

I wonder what it will mean to you and me?  Are we willing to truly "hear" the message and the truth that Habakkuk puts forth? 

To grasp this book it is important for us to begin by reading the whole thing at one time.  It will help you get the flow ... the sense of dialogue ... the movement of thought in through the book. 

Stop reading here ... and go to your Bible.  Then come back for a brief comment from me and that will be all for today.

Read Habakkuk


I love what seems to be the open, honest dialogue between Habakkuk and God.  Habakkuk is not afraid to take his most troubling questions to God.  The things he just cannot understand.  Are you?  Habakkuk does not seem to feel that it is inappropriate ... or sinful ... or critical of God ... or anything.  He takes his questions ... his frustrations ... even his complaints ... to God.  What better place to take them? 

We see the same trait in David ... that man of God.  Listen to him in Psalm 55: 1 - 8

Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea;
hear me and answer me.  My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
at the voice of the enemy, at the stares of the wicked;
for they bring down suffering upon me and revile me in their anger.
My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me.
Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.
I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest --
I would flee far away and stay int he desert;
I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm.

The cry continues throughout scripture ... even into the book of Revelation. 

 
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who
  had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.
  They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you
  judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"  (Revelation 6: 9 - 10)
Indeed!  How long, Lord? 

So ... take your most troubling questions and agonies to God ... remember to never forget in the midst of your cries to recognize that our God is indeed "holy and true".  Remember what we learned in Micah and let your attitude be one of "humility before our God".  Never arrogance - never demading.  Always trusting - always knowing God's ways are not our ways - always faithful.  Then ask ...

What do you need to ask Him today?




No comments:

Post a Comment