October 8, 2011

Observations - Habakkuk 1 (Week 5, Post 2)

After over viewing the book in Post 1, go back now and re-read Habakkuk 1.

There are 2 observations I want to make with you from this chapter.

First - from verse 5.

"Look among the nations! Observe!
Be astonished!  Wonder!
Because I am doing something in your days -
You would not believe if you were told."

I don't know if Habakkuk could identify the things that God was doing or not.  But we know that God responded to Habakkuk's questions about evil and wickedness so rampant with these words.  Do you think God would say the same thing to us today?  As we question and are so confused by the overt violence and destruction throughout the globe in our day?  Perhaps we need to hear the same response that Habakkuk heard.  Perhaps we need to quit wringing our hands and sagging our heads and look, observe.  If God is a sovereign over the earth (and I believe He is), He is doing things right now among the nations.  Nations rise and fall.  Power shifts.  Economies rise and fall.  Two things come to mind to me for application.  One is ... I can absolutely TRUST the hand of God over the world and the nations.  I may have to remind myself of that on a daily basis as my mind is bombarded with news.  But the reality is ... God is sovereign ... God is trustworthy ... God is faithful ... God is mighty ... God is able.  So we can take a deep breath.  The other is that I need to stop fretting and look around ... look for the hand of God.  None of us may feel wise enough to do that on a world stage ... but we can do it in our own lives!  Where did you see God's hand in your life yesterday?  Are you going to look for it today - or are you too busy?  God help us get our eyes off ourselves and on to You. 

The second observation I would make from chapter 1 is the phrase that describes the Babylonians at the end of verse 11:

"They whose strength is their god"

Talk about idolatry!  Both nations and individuals are prone to trust their own strength rather than God.  Where you place your trust shows you your god.  We ask ourselves the same questions that we return to so often ... where do I place my trust?  Is it in my strength ... or my income and bank account?  Could it be in a spouse or children or family?  Do I place my trust in ANY particular nation?  Or am I prone to place my trust in a religion rather than in God Himself through Christ?  Remember, religion is to be a support ... not the end itself.  I want to put my WHOLE TRUST in God alone.  And that is my prayer today ...

Oh Sovereign Lord, I don't want to be like the Babylonians ... I don't want to trust in anything other than You.  Show me where I am violating my own desire.  Show me what I am allowing to take Your place in my life.  Forgive me when I forget or get careless and lazy.  You are indeed from everlasting and You are my Holy One.  You are my rock.  I rest myself there ...

No comments:

Post a Comment