April 4, 2012

Asking: James 1: 5 - 8 (P3)

James 1: 5 - 8
If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you.  But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.

James has just finished a couple of sentences about enduring trials (vs. 2 - 4) ... then he shifts to this bold statement about wisdom.  Handling trials requires wisdom, no?  We can't understand the 'why it's happening' or the 'how we will manage' or the 'what we can do.'  So, in true James fashion, he gave instruction on what to do.  Ask God.

Have you ever wondered why we have to ask?  I mean, God knows all things.  He knows what we need, what  we desire, where we are struggling, etc.  Why do we have to ask?  Consider some possible reasons with me:

  • the verbal acknowledgment helps clarify things in my mind, not God's, so the asking is for my benefit
  • the asking guards my heart from the ugly sense of entitlement that we humans struggle with
  • God desires communication and closeness and intimacy with us ... what better way than talking about our hearts' desires, our needs
Where do you need wisdom from God today?  What circumstances are causing you grief or confusion in your life right now?  Make a list ... write the things down ... then take them to God.  Do you think God is a stingy Father?  Do you think He is not concerned with what concerns you?  Where do you need wisdom?   

James also stipulates the attitude of our asking.  Do it in faith.  Don't do it to test God.  Don't do it doubting that God cares about you and your life.  Don't do it doubting God's ability to do.  TALK to Him!  Do it in faith.  

Wisdom matters.  Wisdom to handle the trials in your life matters.  Not the wisdom from the world ... but the wisdom from God.  

"He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God."  1 Corinthians 1:30  (NRSV)

"God, with your very own hands you formed me.  Now breathe your wisdom over me so I can understand you."  Psalm 119:73 (The Message)

And from Micel Quoist, the French priest & writer ... "Accumulated knowledge does not make a wise man.  Knowledgeable people are found everywhere, but we are cruelly short of wise people."  

Let's join the ranks of the wise ... to do so will require something of us.  Ask God ... in faith.

Lord, I hungrily desire your wisdom in this circumstance: ___________  Give me Your mind about it.  Give me Your heart about it.  Grant me Your eyes to see through it.  And may I honor You as I carry it.  


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about why we need to ask God specifically for what we need. Just as in all prayer and praise, it is we Christians who benefit from acknowledging God's power and grace. When we are unable to actually form the thoughts and words to express our needs, I think that God certainly understands and grants us what we need. But when we are capable of requesting the wisdom and grace that God has to offer, we should do so, clarifying the situations for ourselves. Many times understanding our own problem is the key to finding God's answer. Praying for others is also significant because it gets us "outside of ourselves" and assists those who for one reason or another cannot ask for God's wisdom. In 2010 when I was very sick, many people prayed for me when I could not pray for myself. As I began to improve and think clearly, I could appreciate all those who had supported me. A huge gift to have a loving Christian family. Jacquie Biggs

    ReplyDelete