April 5, 2012

Perspective: James 1: 9 - 11 (P4)

James 1: 9 - 11
Let the believer who is lowly boast in being raised up, and the rich in being brought low, because the rich will disappear like a flower in the field.  For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the field; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes.  It is the same way with the rich; in the midst of a busy life, they will wither away.

James interjects two great truths at this point in his letter.

  1. The poor need not be ashamed
  2. The rich need not be so cocky
Our world is a vicious system of unfairness.  Some have nothing, not even necessities for life.  Some have so little and can barely feed themselves, much less their families.  Some have 'enough' (figure out the definition for that!).  Some have such incredible excess.  It was so in James' Israel ... and it is so today.  

Our humanity wants to blame the poor for their poverty and denigrate them as less than others.  Our humanity wants to exalt the rich as if they are more important than others.  James refutes both tendencies.  

His message to the poor:  Are you poor in the things of this world?  Never forget that in God's eyes, you, in Him, are exalted.  You are His child.  You are rich in the kingdom of God.  
His message to the rich:  Are you rich in the things of this world?  So what?  You will die just like poor people do.  Your great riches do not make you more important to God.  So get off your high horse.  The only riches that matter are in Him.  They are the only things that are permanent.

Mary, even as a young woman, understood James' admonition to the poor, the lowly.  She sang,

My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. ... He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.  He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.  
Luke 1: 46 - 48, 52 - 53

Jesus reminded people of how dangerous riches can be ... how they can make you have an inflated sense of your own importance.  He said,

I tell you the truth, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Matthew 19:24
I took a trip to Israel in March, 2012.  As we left the Old City of Jerusalem, we left through this small door. The main gates were closed.  I turned and snapped a quick picture of it because I could hear the words of Jesus in my head.  The small door is used when the main gates are not opened.  This small door is called "the eye of the needle".  Can you picture what Jesus said?  His hearers would immediately know the reference.  It is not as absurd as we might first imagine as our minds go to sewing needles.  A camel would have a MOST difficult time fitting through this small door. 


So what is the message for you and I?  Quit using worldly standards to evaluate other people or yourself.  The ground at the foot of the cross is level.  Don't forget ...

Lord, help me today see people with your eyes.  When I experience physical need, let me see that as such a temporary condition.  Guard my heart from self-pity.  When I am blessed with more than I need, give me a heart to share it, not hoard it.  Guard my heart from self-pride.  I boast only in You ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment