March 11, 2013

Children, Jesus & Touch (Matthew 19 - P 49)

Remember, we are reading chapter 19 with our eyes on the disciples ... watching to see if we are like them.  Today our reading is quite brief, just 3 little verses ... but perhaps one of the loveliest scenes in all of scripture.  Therefore, I would love for you to just go slow with it.  Observe each person or groups of people ... look for yourself.  Watch Jesus.

Read Matthew 19: 13 - 15

First ... we don't know for sure who is bringing these children to Jesus, but my guess is their moms.  How typical.  We are careful in this day and time to do whatever we can for the protection and the well being of our children.  Have you looked at the aisles with car seats lately?  There are special seats for different weight increments ... backward/forward facing ... shoulder harness ... all these technologies to hopefully protect the life and body of a little one if an accident occurs.  And well worth it, don't you think?  

We train them to not talk to strangers ... to NEVER get in a car with strangers.  We train them to know how to say "NO" when someone is inappropriate with them.  We make sure the nurseries and schools we select have background checks on personnel, etc. 

The list could go on for quite a while.  And while we understand that we cannot protect them 100%, (Newtown and others give testimony to that fact) we are willing to expend energy and monies to do the best we can.  And that is good.  

Do we make sure that we take our little ones to Jesus?  That is a life issue!  Moms (and Dads) are you doing whatever you can to make sure that your little ones know, and are touched by, Jesus?  You can't guarantee their acceptance of Him 100% ... but are you determined to do what you can to lead them to Jesus?  

Lord, help us each be more diligent to bring our little ones, our children and our grandchildren, to you.

Secondly ... notice the disciples.  At first read we may find their reaction harsh.  But think about these men.  They are listening to Jesus speak more and more about his death.  They, more than any others, know how weary he can become in his humanity.  They know the press of the crowds ... all the time.  They know the incessant demands for his attention.  I think they are reacting in a protection mode.  I think they want to protect Jesus ... give him some rest.  So they are defensive.  Hmmm ... I can be that way as well when trying to protect someone I love.  Perhaps they thought the little children were not so important.  Jesus squelches that idea immediately.  Hmmm ... can we sometimes think that way as well?  In your families ... in your churches ... how important are the "little ones"?  

Lord, help us know what matters and what is of lesser importance.  It is so hard to keep those things straight. Give us your eyes.

Third ... notice Jesus.  Again we observe him taking time - touching the ones that culture says don't matter.  Accessibility.  Important people in our world are blocked from the public.  You have to have some kind of special access and appointments to get into the presence of celebrities or important politicians or famous religious leaders.  Not so with the most important figure in all of history.  He says, "Come.  Let me touch you.  Let me bless you."  Are you consistently 'coming' to him?  Do you rest under his touch?    

Close today by reflecting on the words of this familiar William Gaither song:

Shackled by a heavy burden, beneath a load of guilt and shame -
then the hand of Jesus touched me, and now, I am no longer the same.

Since I met this blessed Savior, since He cleansed and made me whole,
I will never cease to praise Him - I'll shout it while eternity rolls.

he touched me, oh, He touched me,
And oh, the joy that floods my soul;
Something happened, and now I know,
He touched me and made me whole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment