March 25, 2009

God Speaks to the Church: Lesson 1; Day 1

In Lesson 1, we will examine Revelation 1 to get the context before we begin to explore Jesus' messages to the churches. If you are joining on line and do not have the printed lessons, I suggest you keep a notebook and make 3 charts for yourself. We will need the first one in this lesson.

Chart 1: Descriptors of Jesus. In this chart you will list every phrase that describes Jesus. Mark the verse where you find it. Also, write beside the descriptor what that phrase means to you as you consider this Jesus.

Today read Revelation 1 through to get the sense of the "story". Don't stop on individual verses yet. Just read ... reading out loud is a great way to get the feel for the chapter.

After that initial read, carefully look again at verses 1 - 9. Make notes to yourself in your notebook about who wrote the book and from where it was written. Also, use your "Descriptors of Jesus" chart and write down all the descriptions that you find in these first 9 verses. Try and not be in a hurry with this. Let the reality of those descriptions fill your mind and your heart.

Some things that came to me as I studied:

1. From verse 3: The word "blessed" in verse 3 is a Greek word that means "happy, fortunate". The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament describes the word as follows: "the transcendent happiness of life beyond care, labor and death; a philosophical term for inner happiness". I want that! Did you notice why these particular folks would be "blessed"? It is because they took the time and energy investment to read and heed the words in this revelation. I am glad you have joined us. I want that for you also!

2. It moves my spirit to realize that when Jesus comes again, all eyes will see him, not just the believers. And they will mourn. Why? Because their eyes will be opened and all will fully know. I love the little prayer song, "Open our eyes, Lord. We want to see Jesus ..." My prayer is that I will have the eyes to see now.

3. I would love to know which of the descriptors of Jesus was most meaningful to you. I found 7 in these few verses. Each one of them holds particular significance as I think about the Lord in these ways. One that seems highlighted to me is in verse 6. He made us to be a kingdom and to be priests to serve His Father and God. I worship this God today because He has chosen to give me a purpose, to give me dignity and to provide me with a place of belonging. What tenderness. As our creator, He knows how desperately we need those things. And they are mine ... only because of Jesus. The world can supply little snatches of these things ... but it is never permanent. It is always temporary and fleeting. Thanks be to the God of the universe because He gives them to the citizens of His Kingdom - forever, eternal. So ... to Him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen ..

2 comments:

  1. Where do I find the "descriptors of Jesus" chart?

    Your blog about the churches is extremely helpful to me.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that encouragement!
    About the chart ... when I did this class "live" ... we built a chart as we read and studied. It is not something that was published. My chart, by the time I finished working through Revelation 1 - 3, has 27 descriptors of Jesus.
    Example: Rev. 1:5 - the descriptor is "faithful witness". So for me: if Jesus is 'faithful', he is 'faithful' to me as well. And if he is a witness, he will give testimony on my behalf.
    Rev. 1:5 - another descriptor is "firstborn from the dead." To me that communicates that he, himself, leads the way out of darkness. Also that death does not get the last word.

    Each class member kept their own chart running throughout the weeks of study. The nice thing about a live class is we could share together the descriptors that proved most meaningful to each one of us. When you finish working through these lessons, let me know which ones provided you with comfort and strength!

    Blessings on your study ...
    Gail

    ReplyDelete