March 26, 2009

God Speaks to the Church: Lesson 1, Day 2

Today read carefully Revelation 1: 10 - 20. As you read, try and visualize this description of Jesus. This is a bit different from the artists' pictures of Jesus with the little children surrrounding Him or the painting of Jesus with a clean, little lamb wrapped about his neck, no? I believe we have finally discovered something truly worthy of the word, "awesome"! What would you have done had you been the one to see this? John "fell as His feet as though dead." (1:17) I imagine myself curling into a fetal position - attempting to become as small as possible and as still. John was terrified. And remember, this is the John who was the "disciple whom Jesus loved." This is the John who had walked and listened, served and observed Jesus throughout His public ministry on the earth. And yet, Jesus, in all His glory, was a sight that rendered him as a dead man. Truly ... worthy of "awe"!

Do you also see the gentle Jesus here - the compassionate Jesus? Read verse 17 again. This awesome Lord "laid His right hand upon John and said, 'Fear not', and then goes on to reassure and to commission John for the task ahead. As I read these verses I find myself asking: What terrifies you? What are your deepest fears? Oh my friends ... lay them out before our Lord and allow Him to lay His hand upon you. Hear His words ... "Fear not for I am the First and the Last." It reminds me in such a powerful way that there is NOTHING outside of my Lord's knowledge, providence and power. NOTHING.

I added the phrase, "first and last" to my Descriptors Chart. I also added the phrase "I am alive for evermore." True life, forever life, unending life, belongs to Jesus. Jesus had said in John's Gospel (John 10:10) "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." Life is His to give. Death is a part of this fallen world - a tragic part. But Jesus' invitation is to die to this world even as we live in it and find our life in Him. And life in Jesus is unending. Life in Jesus is the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment