September 7, 2010

Abraham/Joseph Lesson 1 .... Day 1

So - let's begin!  As we start it is important to remember a remarkable fact:  "Abraham stands as the greatest figure to be found in the ancient world. Three world religions—Islam, Judaism, and Christianity—revere him as the father of their faiths." (The Teacher's Commentary)  This man will be the centerpiece for the first 6 weeks of our study. 

We first meet Abram (our protagonist's name before God gets ahold of him!) in Genesis 11. 
Today read Genesis 11:26 - 12:20.
 
After a brief introduction to his family tree, God takes us immediately to His call of Abram.  I see three primary markers in these verses.  Consider them with me.
 
First, we read about God telling Abram to leave his home and journey to this land that God would show him.  No name of the place ... no map ... no gps ... just go.  Abram steps out in faith ... and goes.  Amazing!  He was to leave his home, all he was familiar with, his culture, all.  That is full obedience!  That is total commitment!  I am glad that is just Old Testament stuff ... wait ... listen to Jesus,  "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 10: 37 - 39)  That sounds very "total commitment" to me!  And listen to Paul:  "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jsus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ ..." (Philippians 3:8)  Abram was called out of his familiar surroundings and told to go on a journey with God.  So are you and I.  We are to leave the ordinary, familiar life of flesh and control and pride and journey with God - letting Him lead us on our way - trusting His wisdom in the journey.  It is an adventure!  It is never boring!  It is worth the risk!  Lord, help us be more committed to following you.
 
Secondly, did you notice what Abram did when he got to that "country"?  He built an altar.  We saw that in both verses 7 and 8 - two different locations, 2 altars.  The altar in the Old Testament always points to worship.  It is all about worship.  And Abram worships.  Is that my first response when some particular journey or event or circumstance is over?  Is it yours?  May we worship more.  May our worship be more heart-felt, less rote and stale, more full and rich.  Worship ... it was the heart of Abram ... I want it to be my heart as well.
 
And third, trouble brews and Abram bolts, runs to Egypt, tells half-lies about his wife ... and has to be protected and rescued by God.  This fact about our hero actually encourages me.  It reminds me that we are studying an ordinary man - a man who got scared and made wrong choices sometimes.  But he is God's man ... and God does not turn loose of His people because of some failures.  We need to remember that when we get so horribly discouraged over our own failures.  What do we do?  Heed the correction, the discipline and correct your course! 
 
Lord, thank you for showing us that Abram was a man with strengths and weaknesses just like us.  I want imitate his courageous faith.  Help me not run away when the going gets rough.  Keep me on track with You.  I bow down in worship ... You are God. 

1 comment:

  1. some things I noticed -
    that call to total commitment is HARD. we moved from TX to Brazil, for my dh's job, and even knowing where we were going it is HARD to leave behind family, friends and all that is familiar. Hard, hard, hard.

    As for responding in worship, such a good reminder that we are not just to pray, but to worship -- there seems to me there's a distinction between those. Much to ponder.

    Lord, may my heart turn to worship more often, no matter the circumstances of my life. Amen.

    ReplyDelete