September 13, 2010

Abraham/Joseph Week 2 Day 1

Covenant ... a beautiful word.  What is it? 
"A covenant is a promise - in this case, a promise made by God to Abram.  For many of us, 'promise' is a better word than 'covenant,' for 'covenant' suggests a bargain and God's covenants are established apart from the bargaining capacities of people."    (James Boice)
This week, our focus will be on the covenant God makes (cuts) with Abram.  Our reading today is Genesis 15.  As you read, mark all of the promises that you find God making to Abram.  Make a list of them ... then come back!

Today, let's focus on verses 1 - 7.  There are two things in verse 1 I want to mention.  First, God says to Abram to "fear not".  Is Abram alone?  I wonder if the experience of the victory in battle and the marvelous meeting with Melchizedek is fading.  It would make sense.  After an incredible spiritual experience, a mountain-top experience, there is the coming down!  This is the first time in scripture that the phrase "fear not" is used.  The word "fear" appears in scripture first in Genesis 3:10 - when Adam had sinned and he heard God in the Garden ... he was afraid.  That's the difference in those 2 men.  Adam was the father of all mankind - Abram is the father of all that believe.  Adam got a fig leaf - Abram got a shield.  Adam heard a curse from God - Abram receives promises.  So believer ... fear not! 

Also in verse 1 we read the first of the many "I Am" statements that God makes about Himself.  Later, when Moses asks God for His name, God's response is "I Am."  It seems to be one of the ways He describes Himself ... with the statements of pure being.  Jesus uses the phrase often.  But here is the first one.  God describes Himself as "your shield and your great reward."  If you are His child ... He is yours as well.  God is both your protection and your provider.  Write those things in your journal on God.  That is why we need not fear ... even when life on this planet thrusts us in sometimes horrific, sometimes nagging, difficult situations.  We have a shield ...

Abram voices his concern about the "heir" business - since he has no children.  God reaffirms that Abram will have offspring.  And Abram  BELIEVES what God says.  God called this belief "righteousness".  There is our hope!  We cannot be righteous on our own.  We try ... we struggle ... we try harder ... we succeed ... we fail ... we try harder ... and on and on.  It is as if God says, "I know you can't do it perfectly.  Only I am perfectly righteous.  So, here's what we will do.  You believe Me ... believe what I promise ... believe what I say ... believe in Me ... and I will count that as your righteousness.  Then together, you and My Spirit, we will work on the actual transformation of you into a righteous child of Mine.  You believe ..."

Close our time with prayer ...

Lord, we do believe ... help our unbelief.  I know that I have no righteousness on my own.  I lay all of myself at Your feet, believing You ... believing that you can and will do the transformation of me from my natural self into a beautiful complete child of Yours.  Thank You for being my shield, my protector.  I walk in faith today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment