September 10, 2010

Abraham/Joseph Week 1 Day 3

Our reading today is Genesis 14.  After reading the chapter ... spend some time thinking about it as you go about your business today ... then come back ...

Apparently Abraham has had a season (we don't know how long) of peace living in the Hebron area.  In fact, he has developed into a type of "chieftain" over his household and holdings.  Lot has progressed from living in the area of Sodom to becoming a full time resident of the city.  Some years have most likely passed following their separation.  Ordinary living ... managing households and families and such.  Political situations then interfere ...

I am glad we are doing this online and no one has to read the first few verses of this chapter out loud!  I think it may be one of the most dense collections of names that are unusual to our ears and unpronounceable to our tongues.  But archaeologists can pronounce them ... can identify them and tell us a bit about that kingdom-state and its ruler.  But I slurred my way through them, rejoicing when I reached the word "Sodom"!  Rebellion and war ... plunder both of possessions and people.  But so that we don't miss the intensity of the situation, listen to Nelson Glueck in his book, Rivers in the Desert
The rebellion of the small kings of the cities on the east side of the Dead Sea against what must have been the extortionate rule of absentee suzerains was brutally crushed.  This comparatively minor insurrection was thereupon utilized as a pretext to settle old scores and to raid and ravage with unleashed ferocity for as much booty as could possibly be won.  An old order was crumbling.  From southern Syria to central Sinai, their fury raged.  A punitive expedition developed into an orgy of annihilation.
It is important for us to realize the intensity or we will miss the courage of Abram.  Yes, he assembled a fighing force of 318 ... but that is small indeed against a coalition of kings and their armies.  It reminds me of Gideon and his 300 men against all the Midianites.  It reminds me of Paul in Romans 8:31 saying, "If God is for us, who is against us?".  We see a glimpse of the courage and faith of Abram.  He knows Who is for him ... and he goes. 

Then we are introduced to Melchizedek.  This intrigueing person is referred to 900 years later by King David in Psalm 110.  He is also writen about by the writer of Hebrews 1000 years later.  (Hebrews 5:6, 10; 6:20; 7:1 - 21)  His name - King of Righteousness.  His title "King of Salem" means "King of Peace".  There are differing opinions by biblical scholars as to his identity.  It makes interesting reading.  I am of the opinion that this is one of the pre-incarnate appearances of our Lord.  I think Abram met the Son of God before He came to earth to be born as Son of Man and take the name, Jesus.  Therefore, Abram willingly received blessing from Him.  Therefore Abram freely offered a tenth of all.  And the concept of the "tithe" was born that day!  But what I see developing is - when a heart recognizes the complete generosity of God ... the total dependence on Him ... the realization that ALL victories in one's life come from God - the only response is gratitude and giving.  So the questions we must ask ourselves:  Do I "give back" out of my own gratitude?  Do I give both money and self because I recognize my very existence rests in God?  Do I give willingly, even joyfully, recognizing it as a deep privilege?  I learn that from Abram.

As we close our thoughts on this chapter, Abram refused to take anything from the king of Sodom.  Wonder why?  Remember Genesis 12:16 ... Abram was in Egypt increasing his wealth from the hand of Pharoah and the idolatrous people of Egypt.  That part of his life was a marked failure.  I don't think Abram wanted to repeat that at all!  He had learned that lesson well.  He would take no wealth from Sodom.  Not for himself.  He would rest his wellbeing in the hands of his God.  What failures have you had in your life experiences where you really learned the lesson?!  I can think of a few when I think I really learned and have not repeated that particular sin.  I want more of those!  Learn from Abram ... I like this man! 

Lord, help us, also, learn from our mistakes and the discipline that we receive from You.  We want to be more like this servant of Yours - more willing to learn, more willing to give, more willing to step out in courage.  This week ... may we practice these things with the strength of Your Spirit. 

2 comments:

  1. I am struck by Abram's integrity, even though learned the hard way, in not accepting wealth from a non-Godly source. I am struck by his giving back as a spontaneous outpouring of thanksgiving. Both of those aspects challenge me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree ... and he did learn the hard way ... but he learned! He obviously was teachable. How I long for that to be a characteristic of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete