September 8, 2010

Abraham/Joseph Week 1 Day 2

Read Genesis 13.  As you read, think about what you learn about God in this chapter.  Think about lessons for yourself.  What do you see in either of these 2 men that you want to emulate or avoid?  After your own reading ... come back ...

Remember from yesterday, Abram has been in Egypt, got himself into trouble and got kicked out of the country.  He was personally convicted of that sin.  Notice that he went immediately back to Bethel ... to the place of the altar ... the the place of communion with God.  I John 1:9 tells us that "if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  That's what Abram did!  And that is what you and I can do.  Restoration into full fellowship with God.  Need to?   

Did you notice the quarreling that erupted between Lot's "group" and Abram's "group"?  Hmmm ... wonder why?  Was it just the matter of cramped grazing grounds?  Or was it that difficulty and discomfort caused the dissension to surface?  Listen to Henry Morris from his book, The Genesis Record.  He writes about Lot and his servants, and Abram's servants, and Morris makes the point that all of this entourage was in Egypt with Abram.  Morris then says, "They no longer felt the reverent admiration they once had felt for Abram, and began to be self-seeking on their own behalf.  Consequently, there began to be serious friction between the servants of Lot and those of Abram and, no doubt, to some extent also between Lot and Abram.  The saddest thing about this, of course, was that this was a bad testimony to the Canaanites around them, just as they had already compromised their testimony to the Egyptians."  They had become self-seeking.  My friends, how many church difficulties and quarrels erupt because of self-seeking?  How much family discord thrives because of self-seeking?  I can hear Paul as he says, "I've been crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live.  Not I, but Christ, lives in me.  So the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loves me, and gave Himself for me."  (Galatians 2:20)  Elisabeth Elliot prayed for "a heart at leisure from itself".  Me too!  I long for a heart at leisure from itself ... where the "myself" does not block my testimony of God ... where the "me" does not block out any vision of the God in me ... where my self focus does not create discord and quarreling. 

Well, these two men decide to separate.  Sometimes that is necessary.  Sometimes it is healthier.  Was Abram discouraged over the separation from his nephew?  We don't know for sure but I think he was.  After all, he had taken Lot under his wing when Lot's father died.  And the fact that God said to him, "Lift up your eyes", makes me think his eyes were downcast.  But God immediate shows up to encourage his servant and to deepen the details of His covenant with Abram.  And what does Abram do?  How does Abram respond?  He builds an altar ... he worships. 

Lord, help me have a heart that is forever worshiping You ... where worship is my first response.

2 comments:

  1. What I first noticed in this passage was the selfless act of Abram to give Lot first pick of the land, and then the more selfish act of Lot, especially in contrast, to choose the best land for himself. Neither of those acts is particularly one way or the other, but the fact they are mentioned right next to each other, I believe we are meant to see the contrast there. At least, that is what jumped out at me as I read, and I prayed right then, "Lord, help me to be more selfless, less self serving. Help me to serve others, not myself."

    It reminds me of Philippians 2:3-4 (consider others above ourselves). Again, the NT echoes the OT.

    I love what you've said in expounding on this, having a heart at leisure from itself so that the myself/me doesn't block other's from viewing Christ in me. Wow. I can tell this is going to be a challenging, but very good, study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought that hit me as I re-read the last verse before I began Friday's reading -- had I been Abram, I'd likely have been hurt/disappointed that my nephew chose the better land, feeling upset that we couldn't get along, etc. Yet Abram, whatever his emotions were, still responded to this move with worship. Wow. Again, much for me to ponder....

    ReplyDelete