January 19, 2009

Lesson 1 - You're Sleeping (Days 3 & 4)

Day 3: verses 29 - 31

In 2 Chronicles 34:31 we are told that Josiah "renewed the covenant in the presence of the Lord - to follow the Lord and keep his commands, regulations and decrees with all his heart and all his soul, and to obey the words of the covenant ..." The language reminds me of Jesus talking about loving the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. (Matthew 22:37) There are some things worthy of whole-hearted devotion. Josiah discovered that ... and committed himself to that cause. I must ask myself, to what, to whom, am I whole-heartedly devoted? What keeps us from giving whole-hearted devotion to God? Are we afraid? Are we too selfish? Do we think it really doesn't matter all that much? Our covenant with God through Jesus is the most remarkable thing in our lives. Do you need to recommit to that covenant? If you do, now is the best time ... right now! And let me know about it! I will celebrate with you ... and pray for you ... to walk whole-heartedly with our God.

Day 4: verses 32 - 33

Verse 33 says, "As long as he (Josiah) lived, they (the Israelites) did not fail to follow the Lord, the God of their fathers."
Now - that's leadership! When you study through the history of Israel during the years after Solomon when the Kingdom was divided, one prevailing reality continues to surface: As go the leaders, so go the people. I believe that is a powerful lesson from God as we look at this king. Never forget that you have your own sphere of influence - that is where you lead - whether there are any titles attached to it or not. It may be at home, with children, in a workplace, at school, or in a neighborhood or community group. What kind of leader are you? In that circle of influence, do you encourage people toward God?

Lead well my friends. Lead toward God - always seeking Him first, with whole-hearted devotion.

And I pray tonight for the men and women who will be walking into leadership positions in our government tomorrow. Lead well, ladies and gentlemen. Lead toward God.

1 comment:

  1. Gail, your comments about Josiah's leadership remind me of this prayer by Pauline Peters. I love the last sentence!

    "Lord, when I am wrong, make me willing to change; when I am right, make me easy to live with. So strengthen me that the power of my example will far exceed the authority of my rank."

    ReplyDelete