January 21, 2009

Lesson 2: Wake Up! Day 1

We learn that Ezekiel was "among the exiles" when this encounter with the living God begins. The dictionary defines exile as one living away from one's country, usually forced. So I think I am not far off to define it as "forced separation from home". This side of eternity, we, too, are living in exile - required (forced) separation from home. I can imagine Ezekiel walking faithfully during this time of exile - doing whatever daily tasks faced him - worshiping God - desiring home. Try to step outside your own life for a moment and be an observer. See the good things, the happy things, the difficult things, the challenging things that are a part of your experience even today. When I do that, it is interesting to evaluate what I see. Am I still walking faithfully? What circumstances do their best to discourage me from staying faithful to that walk? Am I still worshiping - every day?


I also find two phrases in verse 3 that I think may link together: "the word of the Lord came to Ezekiel" and "the hand of the Lord was upon him." I wonder if those two thoughts can run parallel to each other. When the word of the Lord comes ... His hand is on us. As we study this week, I think I will use that image ... as I open His word, to hear a word from the Lord, I am going to think of Him resting His hand on my shoulder. Join me?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this. I can't always make things. But this is awesome and much needed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many times through the ages has God's word come to His people where (and when) it was least expected (i.e., in a strange land... in "enemy territory")? This shouldn't really surprise us, since there is no way to be where an omniscient God is not (Psalm 139:7-12). Sometimes God has to strip away our distractions before we give Him our full attention.

    This quote by author Elisabeth Elliot has inspired me to reclassify such periods of exile as "therapeutic rehab"... and a reminder to listen more closely for His voice before He has to send me there!

    "Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process."- Elisabeth Elliot

    That's the goal: becoming like His Son. What masterpieces He wants to make of us... not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit! (Zechariah 4:6)

    ReplyDelete