January 24, 2009

Lesson 2: Wake Up! Day 4

I love that God told Ezekiel to "stand up and I will speak to you". (2:1) And I am reminded again that God wants to speak to us and He wants us to pay attention! God is not silent. He speaks. I must ask myself: How am I paying attention? How am I keeping myself alert to hear His words? Your commitment to work through this study, to learn to be a better "listener" as you go to scripture, is one of the ways to sharpen our hearing. So ... keep on! Don't let the busy-ness of your days keep you from listening. Don't let any discouragement win out! Just keep going. So, you missed a few days? Get back on track. Try again. Recommit. God speaks - are you listening?

In verse 2 of chapter 2 we learn that the Spirit came into Ezekiel and raised him to his feet. In other words, God had said, "Stand up." And it seems that Ezekiel, facedown because of the glory of God he witnessed, could not get up. Ever been there? Unable to get up? Feeling like you were down and out like a boxer who had taken a severe blow. You can almost see the referee standing over you counting ... one, two, three ... Here is the good news for you - we see hints of this in the Old Testament - we hear the promise in the New Testament - God's Spirit will stand you up! Even when you think you cannot do it. Continually remind yourself of the promise from Jesus: I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth. .. He lives with you and will be in you." (John 14:16-17) The Spirit that stood Ezekiel up on his feet so he could listen to what God was about to speak ... that same Spirit is "in" you as a believer. He lives in you to stand you up, to give you ears to hear and hearts to understand. He is our teacher and our guide. Trust Him to do just that!

Spirit of the living God ... fall fresh on me!

1 comment:

  1. God could have thundered a message to Ezekiel while he lay facedown at His feet, but He didn't... and He wants a face-to-face encounter with us, too. Yes, He is God (and I am not!). Yes, He is the Owner and Manager of the universe. But He allows me, even wants me, to call Him "Father" -- that just blows me away!

    Are there times when I have been content to experience God "at arm's length"... when I am satisfied to interact with Him indirectly, by word of mouth, or from "around the corner"? I am reminded of an email I received a couple of years ago (below). Knowing I can have access to that kind of majesty and power (and beyond access, an invitation to intimacy), will I really be content with just $3.00 worth of God?
    ---------------------------
    "I would like to buy three dollars' worth of God please.
    Just a little of the Lord.
    Not enough to explode my soul,
    or disturb my sleep,
    but, just enough to equal a cup of warm milk
    or a snooze in the sunshine.
    Just enough to ease some of my guilt,
    not enough to change my heart.
    Just enough to take to church
    when I have the time.

    I do not want enough of Him
    to make me love an Indian
    or pick beets with a migrant.
    Not enough to impose responsibility --
    I want the warmth of the womb,
    not a new birth.
    Just enough to exhibit once a week on Sunday.
    I want ecstasy and not transformation,
    the victory without the struggle,
    the comfort without the cross,
    the truth without the trial.
    I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack.

    I would like to buy $3.00 worth of God, please."

    ReplyDelete