January 29, 2009

Lesson 3: Open Your Eyes! Day 3

Exodus 33:18-23
Moses was so audacious! And God did not seem to mind at all. In fact, God responded to Moses' requests. It seems that God really wants to be known by us - in the ways that we can know. God really wants relationship with humankind. That's you and me! As I watch Moses I am so moved by his comfortableness, his boldness with God. I want more of that kind of relationship with God myself. Do you? Talk to Him about that - in humility - expressing your own hearts desire. But then we read verse 20: "But you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." I am reminded once again, in spite of God's invitation for us to enter into comfortable relationship with Him, He is still the awesome "other". Actually, that makes His desire for relationship all the more amazing!

Verse 21: "There is a place near me where you may stand ..." WOW - an invitation, by God, to be near Him. He still provides places near Him. Where can you stand in your life and know that you are near the Presence of God? Can it happen surrounded by your children and family, your work colleagues, your schoolmates? How? I want to be in the place "near Him". I believe it has to do with heart position. And recognizing that the Presence is "in" you - that's about as "near" as one can get! One of my favorite of the old hymns says ...

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God
A place where sin cannot molest, near to the heart of God
There is a place of comfort sweet, near to the heart of God
A place where we our Savior meet, near to the heart of God
There is a place of full release, near to the heart of God
A place where all is joy and peace, near to the heart of God.
O Jesus, blest Redeemer, sent from the heart of God
Hold us, who wait before Thee, near to the heart of God.

May you take your stand in that place - the place that is provided by God - the place that is "near Him".

1 comment:

  1. I loved what Anne said on the video clip about the difference between a belligerent "why" and a trusting "why." I have seen it with my kids, as babies and toddlers, when they were first being told not to do something. One of them would continue the behavior (sometimes even more quickly than before) and then when caught and disciplined, ask me "Why?!" Another, upon hearing "No-no!" would immediately pause. The hand would draw back, and a puzzled but obedient expression was directed at me. "Why not?" Having already obeyed, this child really wanted to understand the concept behind my instruction in order to apply it to other situations. I think God deals with us in the same way: belligerent hearts receive discipline; obedient, trusting hearts often get answers! "Trust and Obey," anyone?

    ReplyDelete