February 6, 2009

Lesson 4: Rend Your Heart! Day 3

Psalm 51: 10 - 13

We spend quite a bit of time thinking about and focusing on "needs". There exists a significant collection of books on the differences in male needs and female needs. Spouses are wise to consider the needs of their mates and ways they can help meet those needs. Parents spend both time and emotional energy considering the needs of each of their children - the differences, the things that make one flourish. While many needs of the human being are universal ... so many are individual. Therein lies the challenge, right?

These four little verses in this profound Psalm speak to me of human need - not the individual things that make me secure and content - but the universal things that fulfill the longings and hungers of the human heart. The things we need as we look - past the short journey on this planet - to eternity, toward complete union with God. Read the verses again with that thought in mind before you look at my "list". Can you see the necessities required for a holistic spirit?

1. A pure heart
2. A steadfast spirit
3. God's presence
4. God's Spirit
5. Salvation
6. Joy
7. A willing spirit

We could spend days reflecting on each of these. Why are they necessary? What do they provide for me? How would my days be different if I were secure in my realization of the possession of these things? Would my relationships look different? Would I handle my children differently? Would I interact with my spouse differently?

The needs of the human heart ... David understood the necessity ... do I?

He closes this stanza with an anthem of testimony! When these needs are met by the God of creation - how can I not tell of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment