February 11, 2009

Lesson 5: Bend Your Knee! Day 1

Ezra 7:6; 9: 1 - 3

I love that Ezra is described as a teacher "well versed in the Law of Moses, which the Lord, the God of Israel, had given". (7:6) Not all teachers are. Some are experts in the ways of the world, in human knowledge and wisdom, in the latest trends of thought. While those things can be very interesting, and often helpful, they are of no eternal value. The things of eternal value come from the mind of God. Think for a moment - who are your favorite "teachers"? Perhaps you are a student through the things that they write. Perhaps you are a student under their tutelage. Are some of the people on your list of "favorites" teaching about the things of God - or are they mostly teaching human wisdom? Now we have to take this thought to a different level. Of those that ARE teaching things of God, do you take the time to check the plumb line of the Word of God to see if the things being taught are true? (Like the Bereans of Acts 17:11) If not, why not?

As I think about this description of Ezra, I think about us as teachers - and not the "stand up in front of a class" kind! You are teaching someone. It may be a child, it may be a spouse, it may be a niece or nephew, it may be a friend. You are teaching - through words, reactions, behaviors, choices - we are teaching. So I must ask: What kind of teachers are we? Am I (you) "well versed in the Law of the Lord"? Your participation in this study tells me that you have a desire to be. So do I! So let's keep on ... committed to the discipline of reading and meditating on and studying the Word of our God.

In 9:2 we learn that even the leaders of the people have led the way in the unfaithfulness. Now, my friends, in the ways that we are all teachers, we are also all leaders. So the same questions must be asked: What kind of leader am I (you)? Am I the kind that leads into unfaithfulness ... or do I stay on the path of faithfulness? What about you? How do you exhibit faithfulness to God, first, then to your spouse and children and body of Christ?

My prayer for us this week: Lord, make us more like Ezra - committed to being well versed in You, committed to walking in faithfulness and appalled at the things that appall You.

3 comments:

  1. Your words about teaching by example strike a chord because of 1 Corinthians 15:33 "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company corrupts good morals.' " We tell our kids to do things we know are good, but they copy alot of what they see us doing even without being told. I'm going to try to pay more attention to my habits that are being picked up by my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are. One of the most sobering moments as a parent is when you clearly see your own bad habits being displayed by your child. I pray God's wisdom over you as you are more attentive to that reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true that values are caught more than they are taught! One thing that stands out to me: Ezra didn't begin by pointing a finger, clicking his tongue and lecturing. He first mourned the sinful behavior (and for quite a while -- we tend to give it a cursory "oops!" and move on). Then he moved to prayer -- and he could've claimed the moral high ground here, but he didn't; notice how many times the words "I" and "my" and "we" and "us" and "our" show up? Finally, he modeled the correct behavior/attitude... and the people's hearts were touched!

    Favorite teachers? The ones I want to be like when I grow up (and yes, Gail, you're on that list). I have learned comparatively little through the years from the ones who are/were "always right." However, I remember an occasion in 2nd grade when a group of girls and I were reprimanded by a teacher (not our own). The reprimand was out of place; she assumed we were doing something without permission when we had actually been told we could do it. Later, after our teacher explained the matter to her, she came and apologized to each of us. I have no words to explain to you how that made me feel, or what a profound impression it left on my 7-year-old heart: for a grown-up to admit to a bunch of kids that she had made a mistake, and apologize... that was huge! Far from "losing face" with us, she grew in our estimation by modeling how a child of God should behave when she has done something wrong. It made me want to be like her! Ezra's actions evoke such a response from his people, and the results are dramatic.

    ReplyDelete