February 7, 2009

Lesson 4: Rend Your Heart! Day 4

Psalm 51: 14 - 17

This Psalm is probably the most quoted Psalm of confession, the most beautiful cry of a penitent heart, the most eloquent in its profound simplicity. Songs are still written inspired by this "song". I pray that it has led you close to the heart of God this week.

As we finish the last few verses, I am so challenged by verses 16 - 17. I wonder how many sacrifices have been offered over the years, all in the name of God, that had nothing to do with God and everything to do with the "sacrificer". Even our Christian service can sometimes be more about us than God. Cain offered sacrifice - God was not pleased. (Genesis 4). The Israelites offered countless sacrifices - God was not pleased. Spend some time reflecting on the "why" of that fact. It has to be because the sacrifice was offered as an end in itself - as if there was some mysterious, magical power in it. For Cain - I think it was easy, it was what he wanted to offer, it was "some" not first fruits. For the Israelites - I think they saw the religious sacrifices as "duty", required to appease a god. "Let's just do this and get it over with!" mentality. We must examine our hearts, my friends! Why do you serve God, if you do?

This God we serve desires hearts ... He desires relationship with His created ... He is love ... He desires love. When we face the reality of the way we fail Him ... there is nothing left but a broken and contrite heart and spirit. And that reality places us right where we need to be - submitted to, surrendered to, in love with this amazing God.

Sing with me ... "I keep falling in love with Him, over and over, over and over again. He gets sweeter and sweeter as the days go by. Oh what a love between by Lord and I. I keep falling in love with Him, over and over, and over and over again."

1 comment:

  1. Not sure which lesson to post this comment under, but one thing that stands out to me this week about David is how instant he was to address problems, and how up-to-date he always wanted to stay in his relationship with God. For the past month I have been caught up in the throes of Solo & Ensemble accompanying, with all the attendant last-minute emergencies... and my house has suffered. Now that the frenzy is behind me I am trying to catch up on housekeeping chores. But every time I start a task, I find that some other task must be done first to clear the way. The accumulation is daunting, and the greatest temptation is to just not start!

    We don't need to get there with God. Much better to cultivate a habit of constantly clearing out the "little things" than allow them to pile up and have to deal with a massive pile of junk somewhere down the road!

    ReplyDelete