February 9, 2009

Lesson 4: Rend Your Heart Wrap-Up

Following are some of my highlights from the video discussion of Lesson 4, Psalm 51:

1. We cannot afford to let down our guard over our own hearts. Sin is so deceptive. We even get lured into calling sin by other names ... makes it milder, less threatening. Calling things by other names also dulls our hearts to the need for confession and repentance.

2. Never say what you would never do!

3. The "cross" provides, not only forgiveness, but the power to live above our sin natures.

4. Sin actually "hurts God's heart"

5. David grieved over the root, the cause of his sin ... not just over the consequences.

5. Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death ..." Whatever area in your life where sin is present, that area begins to "die". (marriage, business, family ...)

6. Don't stop thinking about this until you go all the way to the remainder of Romans 6:23:
"... but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!"
And there is the celebration!

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch firsthand for the validity of #2. Not that God doesn't already know where my areas of reluctance are, but in my experience, telling God "what I won't do" (or what I don't want Him to do to/with me) has been the tried-and-true short route to finding myself actually doing whatever it is -- scary... humbling... and a learning curve I do not wish to repeat (though I often have)!

    ReplyDelete