February 26, 2009

Lesson 7: Move Your Feet! Day 4

Nehemiah 2:6; 6: 15 - 16



I love the way Nehemiah responded to King Artaxerxes' questions about timing. The text tells us in 2:6 "So I set a time." I tend to be an overanalyzer. Does anyone else fall into that trap? I can debate within myself both sides of nearly every possible scenario that exists ... and even create scenarios that do not exist. That takes a lot of time and even more energy. The opportunity for Nehemiah opened ... so he set a time. And then began to put a plan in place. Had it been me, I might still be there trying to decide the absolute best day for departure! The lesson I learn is when God opens a door ... GO! MOVE! Quit overanalyzing. Now, that requires descretion and wisdom. It actually requires a "prayed up" spirit that we spoke about yesterday. But when those things are in place, we really can (I should say, I really can!) ... JUST DO IT! He's my hero.



I close this week with the words in 6:16 "they realized that this work had been done with the help of our God." Any good we do is because of God and by God. Any accomplishments we experience happen with the help of our God. Any successes we enjoy, large or small, are orchestrated by God. And so I ask, How do I communicate that God is the reason for any and all success in my life? Any gifts and talents that we possess ... any strengths that we carry ... all have originated in the hand of God who generously pours out upon us. When you receive a compliment or a praise over something, accept it graciously ... but in your own spirit, or, when appropriate, with a simple word, forward it to God. He is the originator. Offer Him the praise and the glory.



The book of Nehemiah ends with these words: "Remember me with favor, O my God." (13:31b) Those words are precious to me because they are also carved into the headstone that marks my grandfathers grave: Remember me, O mighty One. I think that is a good prayer for us to close today's work:

Remember us with favor, O mighty One.

3 comments:

  1. I realized when doing the Day 4 lesson, that I may tend to overanalyze too but I also wait until I can pull someone along with me! I need the affirmation of another before I want to move. I guess I don't want to go alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. skbaug wrote: "I need the affirmation of another before I want to move."

    I hear that! On a few notable occasions, I have been mad enough or "passive-aggressive" enough to do something and just not care whether anybody joined me me or not... more often, though, I'm a Class A Chicken. I'm almost afraid to ponder how many God-gifted opportunities I've missed this way... I suspect I'd rather not know.

    What would a turtle do, Gail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, this has been a wonderful study for us. Thank you for letting us join it "from a distance." You definitely have a gift and a passion for teaching and seeing lessons in the Word that not everybody would notice. Will you be doing another study like this soon? (Have you ever thought about writing a book?)

    Thanks again, and God bless!

    ReplyDelete