February 18, 2009

Lesson 6: Just Say Yes! Day 1

Isaiah 6: 1 - 3

I wonder if Isaiah was in mourning for King Uzziah. Was Isaiah discouraged with the passing of his king? We don't know for sure. But if he was, it fits a pattern that I think is real. God comforts His own in times of mourning with a greater reality of Himself. I suspect some of you reading this can give testimony to that fact! He takes our eyes off our own losses ... and allows us to get a glimpse of His glory. Of course, Isaiah got more than a "glimpse"!

I noticed the word "full" and "filled" in these three verses. It appears in verse 1 and in verse 3. The "train of His robe filled the temple." I have seen trains on very formal wedding gowns that filled an aisle - but never the whole place. Do you remember the pictures of the train on Princess Diana's wedding gown? It definitely filled the entire aisle of Westminster Abbey - but far from the entire temple. Can you picture this scene - the train of the robe of God filling the entire temple? And in verse 3, "the whole earth is full of His glory." Fullness - God completely filling. Remember that you and I are the temple. Are you surrendering self to allow the presence of God to "fill" the temple - or are you content with just an aisle? Look for the glory of God this week - the whole earth is "full" of it! That means it surrounds you.

In verse 2 we learn that the seraphs hovering above the throne of God had 6 wings. I learned some interesting insights from "A Commentary: Critical and Explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments":
2 wings cover their faces: symbolic of being unworthy to look on the holy God
2 wings cover their feet: literally it would translate their "lower parts". This was the usual stance in the presence of an Eastern monarch - a token of reverence
2 wings flying: representing their readiness for instant flight in God's service.

What do I learn from these seraphs? 1. Do I fully understand that the ONLY reason I can lift my head to the heavens is because of my Savior? 2. How do I show reverence in my time, in my life for this King? 3. Am I ready to do God's bidding? How am I "in training" so that when He calls, I am ready to fly?

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of His glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment