February 11, 2009

Lesson 5: Bend Your Knee! Day 2

Ezra 9: 4 - 7



I am interested in this word "appalled" that is used in 9:3 - 4. It is the Hebrew word "shamem". The word is used 90 times in the OT. Of those 90 references, only 13 of them are translated "appalled". Other English words that are used to translate include: horrified, desolate, devastated, ruined. Dictionary definitions of shamem include: stunned, stupefied, laid to waste, ravaged. Seeing some of the nuances around this word help me understand the depth of Ezra's dismay. And I am again stunned into silence by the seriousness of ignoring the words, warnings and instructions from God. Oh, Gail - look carefully at yourself and pay attention! Has God revealed anything to you lately that He wants changed? My friends - we MUST get on with it!

Did you notice in 9:4 when Ezra said "eveyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel gathered around me ..."? It seems that not all trembled at the words of God. It seems that not all had a sense of fear of the Lord. Those who did - came. Those who did not - evidently went about their business. I am reminded of Proverbs 9:10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." The wise ones in the midst of Jerusalem came alongside Ezra. Do you want to be wise? If so, then the words of the God of Israel - the God of our Savior, Jesus, matter! They matter tremendously. There is foolishness in our self-absorption. And while our God is shepherd, tender, merciful, compassionate, love ... we must never forget that He is a consuming fire, worthy of our most profound respect and awe.


Are you ever "appalled" at yourself? I hope I am not the only one that has to admit to that! Have you ever witnessed yourself saying one thing and doing another? Have you ever violated the words of God by choices and/or behaviors? Again, I hope I am not the only one that has to admit to that. Because if you can see yourself there with me, we can sit together, appalled. And then we can join Ezra, on our knees with hands outstretched to the Father, and call out to our God who is full of mercy and compassion. Anyone with me?

1 comment:

  1. Ezra's reaction tells us there is no room for nonchalance when we do not meet the standard of behavior and lifestyle that God has laid out for us. It is completely appropriate for a righteous God to have higher expectations for His people... and no attitude toward sin which minimizes it ever solves the problem. Even higher, James tells us, is the standard by which teachers will be judged (James 3:1).

    So I ask myself "What unwholesome habits have I picked up -- consciously or unconsciously -- from the culture and customs of my environment?" But I must follow that question with another: "Who may have followed suit because of my example?"

    Scottish poet Robert Burns wrote "O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us." Once we do study ourselves through the eyes of those who may be looking to us for guidance, may God give us hearts to acknowledge sub-standard patterns of behavior and the resolve to make any/all necessary corrections!

    ReplyDelete