May 1, 2010

May 1 - Proverbs 1

I am excited to begin our May project ... the reading of the book of Proverbs ... one chapter per day. As we begin let's define the word, proverb. The Hebrew word translated "proverb" is masal. It includes brief sayings as found in the book of Proverbs, and also the extended parables and vivid illustrations found so often in the Old Testament.

Many of us may find verse 7 the most meaningful in this chapter. It gives us the very starting place for any quest for wisdom. Anything that you want ... you must know where to begin. And Solomon tells us. The beginning place is the "fear" of the Lord. The Hebrew word translated "fear" is the word yira. The Dictionary of Biblical Languages begins its description of this word with: "reverence, a state of piety and respect toward a superior." Well, when we speak about God ... that is most appropriate!

So as we begin our quest ... I want to get myself in a right relationship with God. Reverence ... respect ... awe ... fear of Jehovah God, the author of all wisdom. That not only is the beginning of wisdom ... it is the heart of worship.

A good place to start ...

2 comments:

  1. Gail, where is the line between wisdom and discernment? Do you think there is one? I'm looking especially at verse 5:

    "let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance-" (NIV)

    "A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel..." (NASB)

    I can't help placing this verse alongside James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

    Many times, I know what the "general wisdom" is for a situation (i.e., what the guiding principles should be), but I realize I may not be looking at all the angles, and I seem to ask God for discernment more than just about anything else. Maybe I'm putting too fine a point on the definition, but discernment to me seems to take things a step further than wisdom... and a good part of the discernment process seems to be wrapped up in our choice of whom we listen to, whose advice we seek, whose experience we tap. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PD ... I see these two things, wisdom and discernment, like the two threads that weave together to make fabric. They are so closely woven that to try too hard to differentiate between the two will create damage to the cloth. I have no problem with thinking that discernment adds practical, active steps to wisdom. But I'm not sure we can succeed (or what is the benefit) in dividing these two things. It seems to me to be one package. Want it? Ask God ...

    ReplyDelete