May 18, 2010

May 18 - Proverbs 18

Verse 9 caught my attention today.  "One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys." (NIV)
And from the NRSV:  "One who is slack in work is close kin to a vandal."  That comparison is a bit staggering.  Vandalism is a horrific thing.  We have all seen public surfaces defaced, incredible amounts of public monies having to be spent to restore what vandals have damaged.  Terrible!  Somebody needs to do something!  We shake our heads at the entire situation, so pleased with ourselves that we would never do such a thing. 

Then here comes this wisdom writer equating vandalism with being slack in our work!  What does that mean - slack in work?  Well ... dictionary definitions of the word include ...

1.  not using due diligence, care, or dispatch : negligent

2.  a.  characterized by slowness, sluggishness, or lack of energy, a slack pace

     b : moderate in some quality; especially : moderately warm, a slack oven

     c : blowing or flowing at low speed, the tide was slack

3   a : not tight or taut, a slack rope

     b : lacking in usual or normal firmness and steadiness : weak, slack muscles, slack supervision

4 : wanting in activity : dull, a slack market

5 : lacking in completeness, finish, or perfection, a very slack piece of work

So I get the picture.  Anytime my work is careless and/or lazy and/or sloppy, etc. I am likened to a vandal.  Don't like that comparison!  And yet I cannot write it off.  Paul says the same kind of thing in the New Testament.  Paul says it this way ... "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving." 

So my prayer for today ... Lord, I pledge my work to You today.  I will work as if You are my employer.  Actually, You are.  You are my life and my work.  You are my calling and my love.  No slackness from me today ... by Your grace and strength. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved verse 10:

    "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

    Such a great reminder for a worrier like me! Praise You, Father!!!

    ReplyDelete