May 22, 2010

May 22 - Proverbs 22

The very first verse in chapter 22 is what I want to meditate upon today.  "A good name".  This wisdom writer calls it a great treasure.  I've done a little digging into these words and what they may reference in Hebrew.  The word translated name means "name, memory, reputation, renown."  It seems to me that it is a "what are you known for" kind of idea. 

In one of our group Bible studies last month, our teacher began to throw out names ... and we were to give a one-word response.  Names such as ... Michael Jordan, Meryl Streep, Abraham Lincoln ... you get the idea.  Is there a word that would describe you?  Is it good?  If not ... what do you WANT that word to be?  Perhaps knowing that will help us live toward it! 

Another picture that came to my mind is that of a funeral.  Such beautiful things are generally said about the one being honored.  What do you want said about you?  Perhaps we should live so that our friends and family will not have to lie!! 

The same word is used in Genesis 11 in the account of the building of the Tower of Babel.  These men wanted to "make a name for themselves".  Problem was ... it was not a 'good' name ... it was a 'no need for God' name. 

So my question for us today ... what kind of name are you making for yourself?  You add to the description of you every day. 

A good name ... a great treasure. 

Lord, may my behaviors, attitudes and words this day be worthy of my walk with You.  I wear Your Name ... and that is the BEST name ... may I not be an oxymoron today!

1 comment:

  1. I really like reading your posts because you seem to point out the things that my mind glosses right over. I have been thinking a lot lately about what I leave behind. Not only my legacy, but the memories of my children and even the clutter of my house. On this same note, I was remembering what you shared a few weeks ago in your class about personal bible study. You referred to a woman who wrote her own eulogy and then began to strive to live it. I love that concept of eternally minded living, and isn't that the life of a Kingdom Christian after all ?

    ReplyDelete