May 15, 2010

May 16 - Proverbs 16

In reading yesterday's chapter and continuing into the reading today ... a phrase keeps being repeated that I want us to focus upon.  The phrase is "better than".  Did you notice it, too?  I like to think that I would always choose the "better" when I have the ability to choose.  I want the "better" for my life.  I am writing these statements together so that we can see them in one place ... listen ...

15:16  Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil.
15:17  Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred.
16:8    Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice.
16:16  Better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver.
16:19  Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.
16:32  Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.
and ... into tomorrow ...
17:1  Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.

Each statement contrasts 2 things ... and the wisdom writer identifies for us which has higher value.  I typed in red the valued things ... the rest is peripheral.  Do you believe him?  I think taking these statements to heart will help us in our attitudes toward our own lives ... perhaps help us not complain so much!  Maybe even help us toward developing that "cheerful heart" that we read about yesterday. 

The "better" ...

My prayer for today ... Lord, I choose the better today.  And I choose to not complain about the circumstances in which I find myself.  Help me know what I have power to change and what I do not.  Give me wisdom to change what I can.  I want Your "better" ... I want to focus upon the things You treasure. 

1 comment:

  1. yes! The part that was the most meaningful to me was verse 17. Not that there is anything wrong with a meal of vegetables, but I felt the spirit of that. How many times have I given everything I had to prepare the most special meal for my family, but acted snarky to my husband or children while in the heat of preparation. God is speaking!

    ReplyDelete