May 23, 2010

May 23 - Proverbs 23

Verse 10 uses a phrase that we saw also in Proverbs 22.  It is a rather odd phrase for our ears ... perhaps that is one reason it stands out to me. 

          Verses 10-11:  "Do not move an ancient boundary stone or encroach on the fields of the fatherless, for their Defender is strong; He will take up their case against you."

The word used is very specific - fatherless - not orphans.  Orphans are those who are parent-less.  In scripture we often see the words "widow and fatherless" together.  At that time, without a father in the household, the little family was vulnerable indeed!  Vulnerable against the wiles and greed of the culture.  This proverb seems to be telling people in that time to be very careful before they took advantage of the weak ones in their culture.  Be careful because God Himself is watching on their behalf. 

Does this proverb have anything to say to us?  I think so.  Who are the vulnerable ones in our culture?  The ones we can easily take advantage of.  And it may still relate very closely to the "widow and the fatherless".  This wisdom writer is warning us to be careful ... because God Himself is watching over them ... and will be their defense. 

Lord ... help me see the vulnerable ones in my circles.  Help me not just blow past them in my hurry and/or naivete.  Forgive me when I have ignored or even taken advantage in the past.  Give me eyes to see ... and a heart that is willingly to defend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment